Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 133278 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #630 on: October 13, 2016, 01:26:11 pm »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=9230.msg113957#msg113957

Ask Gary what he thinks about smb ;)

The most interesting part about that thread is where Denny specifically states that he tried campden for its antioxidant properties for a year.  Note also that the thread was from 5 years ago.
But he might not have been pre-boiling or racking and stirring gently. My water goes from kettle to bucket to cooler, I have no ability to try all of the techniques the GBF recommends. Considering it's all or nothing per the members, i won't be able to try any of it until I have a three vessel system with enough volume to hold all my water at once for pre-boiling.

Do you use a cooler? Why not just pre-boil in your BK, then pump through the outlet valve to underlet your mash?
How would I handle sparge?

Big Monk

« Reply #631 on: October 13, 2016, 01:26:54 pm »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=9230.msg113957#msg113957

Ask Gary what he thinks about smb ;)

The most interesting part about that thread is where Denny specifically states that he tried campden for its antioxidant properties for a year.  Note also that the thread was from 5 years ago.
But he might not have been pre-boiling or racking and stirring gently. My water goes from kettle to bucket to cooler, I have no ability to try all of the techniques the GBF recommends. Considering it's all or nothing per the members, i won't be able to try any of it until I have a three vessel system with enough volume to hold all my water at once for pre-boiling.

Do you use a cooler? Why not just pre-boil in your BK, then pump through the outlet valve to underlet your mash?
How would I handle sparge?

Don't! 😉

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #632 on: October 13, 2016, 01:27:31 pm »

Couldn't you just run a hose to the bottom of the cooler?  It would be easier than pumping in through the outlet. And no pump required.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #633 on: October 13, 2016, 01:28:59 pm »
No sparge. It's not as bad as I was thinking before trying it and still get 68-70% efficiency

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #634 on: October 13, 2016, 01:29:24 pm »
For any who have tried it, how likely am I to see results from just pre-boiling and mashing carefully?

Might try that if I brew tomorrow. Keep in mind, I'm not aiming for recreating a modern, low oxygen brewery. Simply an early 20th century British brewery. Pre-boiling still fits that vibe, as it could have been done for water mineral reasons. If that's not going to have an effect on oxygen levels at the end of the mash I'm not going to bother.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #635 on: October 13, 2016, 01:30:27 pm »

Couldn't you just run a hose to the bottom of the cooler?  It would be easier than pumping in through the outlet. And no pump required.
Or run the hose to the outlet either way would work. Nothing wrong with gravity

Offline Stevie

« Reply #636 on: October 13, 2016, 01:30:29 pm »
No sparge all beers? Even low gravity beers that would be near 5qt/lb?

Are you purging the pump and line with bottled co2? If so, you're not worried about oxygen pickup there.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #637 on: October 13, 2016, 01:32:24 pm »
For any who have tried it, how likely am I to see results from just pre-boiling and mashing carefully?

Might try that if I brew tomorrow. Keep in mind, I'm not aiming for recreating a modern, low oxygen brewery. Simply an early 20th century British brewery. Pre-boiling still fits that vibe, as it could have been done for water mineral reasons. If that's not going to have an effect on oxygen levels at the end of the mash I'm not going to bother.
Can you preboil and chill with ss? Have smb?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #638 on: October 13, 2016, 01:32:27 pm »

Or run the hose to the outlet either way would work. Nothing wrong with gravity
Can't do gravity with my setup. I brew an 8x8 third floor balcony. No room for stuff and no where to store it.

I don't doubt the claims or results. I just question the need for it to be all or nothing.

Big Monk

« Reply #639 on: October 13, 2016, 01:32:45 pm »

Are you purging the pump and line with bottled co2? If so, you're not worried about oxygen pickup there.

You shouldn't have to exceed 3 qts/lb down to around 11 °P.

SMB will be providing active scavenging.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #640 on: October 13, 2016, 01:33:51 pm »

All or nothing per the diehards.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #641 on: October 13, 2016, 01:35:50 pm »

3% table beer at 7°?

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #642 on: October 13, 2016, 01:36:01 pm »

Nope, both my immersion and plate chiller have copper in them. Honestly one of the reasons why it'd be tough for me to go full "LODO" is my reluctance to give up that plate chiller...no smb either, and not likely to get access to any in time.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Big Monk

« Reply #643 on: October 13, 2016, 01:37:12 pm »

Nope, both my immersion and plate chiller have copper in them. Honestly one of the reasons why it'd be tough for me to go full "LODO" is my reluctance to give up that plate chiller...no smb either, and not likely to get access to any in time.

Use Campden.

Big Monk

« Reply #644 on: October 13, 2016, 01:39:26 pm »

3% table beer at 7°?

That may be tough. Although you could always try to balance an increase in grain with WTG, i.e. Bump up the grist to try and bring down the WTG to under 3.

Just things to entertain and to think about. All the info isn't out there.