Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 133262 times)

The Beerery

Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #705 on: October 14, 2016, 10:16:41 am »
I can guarantee you with 10000000% certainty, that brewtan only beers, and SMB only beers do not, I repeat DO NOT taste the same, not even close.

Have you done a side by side blind tasting?

Yup.

Just you?

Nope.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #706 on: October 14, 2016, 10:19:23 am »
I can guarantee you with 10000000% certainty, that brewtan only beers, and SMB only beers do not, I repeat DO NOT taste the same, not even close.

Have you done a side by side blind tasting?

Yup.

Just you?

Nope.

Why so secretive?  Why not publish the results of the testing and let everyone benefit?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #707 on: October 14, 2016, 10:22:19 am »
I learned a long time ago, you guys can't be told something, you have to come to it on your own.  ;)

narvin

« Reply #708 on: October 14, 2016, 10:46:38 am »

24ppm of the 100ppm dose rate, is not going to have a noticeable effect on the beer. Some german beers exhibit 3x that much in pale lagers(although you can CERTAINLY taste it at that point).

I would strongly advise against the usage of meta for de-oxygenation of tap water.

Why?  Does it require the dose to be higher, or does it just not work?

If it doesn't work, period, I'd begin to question whether the meta is doing anything at all.

narvin

« Reply #709 on: October 14, 2016, 10:47:22 am »
I learned a long time ago, you guys can't be told something, you have to come to it on your own.  ;)

I think the real reason is that you don't like people to ask questions.  Which is fine.  But that's not science.

Big Monk

« Reply #710 on: October 14, 2016, 10:58:23 am »

24ppm of the 100ppm dose rate, is not going to have a noticeable effect on the beer. Some german beers exhibit 3x that much in pale lagers(although you can CERTAINLY taste it at that point).

I would strongly advise against the usage of meta for de-oxygenation of tap water.

If it doesn't work, period, I'd begin to question whether the meta is doing anything at all.

The most obvious answer is it's just a waste. Why, if you can get </= 0.5 ppm DO from preboiling and chilling and then protection against 20 ppm DO from 100 ppm dose of SMB, would you waste active protection for up to 60 ppm DO by using SMB to remove oxygen from your tap water?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:05:35 am by Big Monk »

Big Monk

« Reply #711 on: October 14, 2016, 10:59:59 am »

I think the real reason is that you don't like people to ask questions.  Which is fine.  But that's not science.

The forum is peppered with candid answers that have appeared over the last 48 hrs.

Citizen science has instilled a false sense of the information that matters here and on other forums. Someone with a healthy dose of skepticism might be a prime candidate for a mini-mash:

http://forum.germanbrewing.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

Subjectivity can be a powerful first tool in establishing someones empirical excursions on a topic.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:02:23 am by Big Monk »

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #712 on: October 14, 2016, 11:00:23 am »

I think the reason is because tap water has higher ion content and you don't want to add more sodium and sulfate if you don't know the exact contents of your water. And adding it would throw everything out of balance if you have high ion contents of sodium or sulfate already. Which is why RO is recommended, it's a perfect starting point. But we knew that already!
Jesse

The Beerery

« Reply #713 on: October 14, 2016, 11:03:59 am »

Of course it works...It takes 5ppm meta to 1 ppm oxygen. SO if your tap water is 10ppm, you can start to see the implication with your dosing requirements JUST for the tap water, not including your requirements for your brewing process..

The Beerery

« Reply #714 on: October 14, 2016, 11:04:31 am »

I mind not when the questions are worthy, or when the information isn't handily available.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #715 on: October 14, 2016, 11:11:53 am »

THIS^^^^

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #716 on: October 14, 2016, 11:12:21 am »

What if Kunze had that same arrogant attitude?

www.dennybrew.com

The Beerery

« Reply #717 on: October 14, 2016, 11:15:39 am »

What if Kunze had that same arrogant attitude?

Yawn.... So we are doing this again?

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #718 on: October 14, 2016, 11:18:28 am »

Citizen science has instilled a false sense of the information that matters here and on other forums. Someone with a healthy dose of skepticism might be a prime candidate for a mini-mash:

http://forum.germanbrewing.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

Subjectivity can be a powerful first tool in establishing someones empirical excursions on a topic.

That actually looks like a really fun (and highly informative) experiment. Should be pretty easy to put together, too.

narvin

« Reply #719 on: October 14, 2016, 11:35:57 am »

The most obvious answer is it's just a waste. Why, if you can get </= 0.5 ppm DO from preboiling and chilling and then protection against 20 ppm DO from 100 ppm dose of SMB, would you waste active protection for up to 60 ppm DO by using SMB to remove oxygen from your tap water?

Because preboiling and chilling 18 gallons of water is a bigger waste  :)