Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 132989 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #840 on: November 01, 2016, 03:31:59 pm »
I do full volume BIAB in the kettle, so no sparge water.

Doesn't really matter if you sparge or not. The 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons water used is the key regardless.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #841 on: November 02, 2016, 08:23:42 am »
This one was actually done without preboiling, but I siphoned my strike and sparge water in and mashed with a foil mash cap, if I recall correctly. So basically no, not low oxygen brewed. I wanted to see how I'd feel about it with just the Brewtan.
I wasn't even thinking about the Brewtan when I tasted it, it just tasted amazingly good when I sampled it. So who knows if it was because of the Brewtan or just the recipe...

That's why I think it will be interesting to have 50+ tasters evaluating different beers.
Yeah, looking forward to the results. It might be the recipe on this beer, but I'm sure the Brewtan helps. I'd like to try it low O2 as well. It's all Vienna malt for the base, which is really nice for hoppy beers.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #842 on: November 02, 2016, 10:16:23 am »
Yeah, looking forward to the results. It might be the recipe on this beer, but I'm sure the Brewtan helps. I'd like to try it low O2 as well. It's all Vienna malt for the base, which is really nice for hoppy beers.

It would be interesting to see comparisons between Brewtan only, low O2 only and low O2 and Brewtan both on the same recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #843 on: November 02, 2016, 10:18:24 am »

It would be interesting to see comparisons between Brewtan only, low O2 only and low O2 and Brewtan both on the same recipe.

Low o2-SMB/AA/Brewtan is the trifecta. There are commercially available products that have those and are for minimizing oxidation on the hot side of the brew process.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #844 on: November 02, 2016, 10:29:35 am »

Low o2-SMB/AA/Brewtan is the trifecta. There are commercially available products that have those and are for minimizing oxidation on the hot side of the brew process.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=27981.msg365835#msg365835
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

The Beerery

« Reply #845 on: November 02, 2016, 10:37:22 am »

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=27981.msg365835#msg365835

No, not that one, but its similar.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #846 on: November 02, 2016, 03:37:01 pm »
and then the ½ tsp mixed with water and added about 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

In the podcast, Joe recommended to mix that 1/2 tsp addition with a small amount of wort (think 1/2 cup) prior to adding it to the boil.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #847 on: November 02, 2016, 11:51:38 pm »
and then the ½ tsp mixed with water and added about 15 minutes before the end of the boil.

In the podcast, Joe recommended to mix that 1/2 tsp addition with a small amount of wort (think 1/2 cup) prior to adding it to the boil.
That's the way I add it.
Jesse

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #848 on: November 08, 2016, 03:05:29 pm »
this may have been answered somewhere in the past 57 pages, but is this stuff available to homebrewers yet?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #849 on: November 08, 2016, 03:11:50 pm »
this may have been answered somewhere in the past 57 pages, but is this stuff available to homebrewers yet?

Only if you order it from Australia.  I hope that it will be in the wholesale chain around the first of the year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #850 on: November 08, 2016, 03:42:57 pm »

There are commercially available products with all three of those together?

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #851 on: November 08, 2016, 03:50:53 pm »

Yes, go up to my last post, there's a link.
Frank P.

The Beerery

« Reply #852 on: November 08, 2016, 04:01:25 pm »

I wouldn't use that one. This is the one you want.
http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ANTIOXINSBT.pdf

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #853 on: November 08, 2016, 04:06:56 pm »

Is this used instead of straight SMB or as an alternative in LoDo brewing?  Have you worked with this product in the past with any positive results?

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #854 on: November 08, 2016, 04:08:49 pm »

Not use, but make a similar blend. Do you know the exact composition of sbt?
Frank P.