Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 132980 times)

narvin

Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2016, 07:57:33 am »
Brewing a German Pils with my new sack of Barke malt on Sunday.  Wish I had some brewtan... Denny, why weren't you handing out little ziplock baggies of it at the conference?  I'm sure the TSA wouldn't have thought that odd.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2016, 08:08:01 am »
Isn't Brewtan suppose to help with the cold side oxidation? It would be nice if we didn't have to go to all the trouble of closed transfers if Brewtan eliminated the need.

I doubt it. I strongly recommend that you review that seminar and you will see that it doesn't have to be too much of a pain.

I spent a few minutes figuring out how to do it with my system and implemented it in a day. The keg purging method adds almost no time to your day. I should have been doing it all along, but I didn't think that cold-side oxidation was that big of a problem...I was wrong.

Looking forward to that presentation. I've looked into the keg purging method before but lately have been having good luck adding a pinch of SMB into the keg at transfer. What would be your take on that?

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2016, 08:17:39 am »
Not sure if I would do it with lagers yet, but on ales I am definitely trying some ascorbic acid at kegging before implementing LODO purging.  Readily available at any LHBS.
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2016, 08:22:49 am »
I don't understand the resistance to the type of purging mentioned. It takes zero money to try and uses less gas than burping a keg at high pressure. I've been purging this way for years.

narvin

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2016, 08:52:00 am »
I don't understand the resistance to the type of purging mentioned. It takes zero money to try and uses less gas than burping a keg at high pressure. I've been purging this way for years.

You mean, filling a keg with star san and pushing it to other kegs with CO2 (and then a bucket)?  That's what I do.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2016, 09:04:08 am »

You mean, filling a keg with star san and pushing it to other kegs with CO2 (and then a bucket)?  That's what I do.

Same here. No resistance, I'm just curious about what Brewtan B can (maybe) do to help with oxidation.
Jon H.

narvin

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2016, 09:08:48 am »
Yes, I'm not really concerned about kegging to be honest.  I purge as mentioned above and transfer using CO2 from the primary.

But, I'd like to see if Brewtan can "improve" my malt flavors.  Not that I've noticed anything wrong with them, but after reading all about low O2 brewing I'm at least curious if things like a recirculating mash can cause HSA on a delicate beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2016, 09:18:12 am »
Puge the kegs by pushing sanitizer, closed transfers from conical to keg, and even clearing tubing of air before transfers. All that to drink Pilsners in the summer.  :)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2016, 09:24:40 am »
Isn't Brewtan suppose to help with the cold side oxidation? It would be nice if we didn't have to go to all the trouble of closed transfers if Brewtan eliminated the need.

I doubt it.
I strongly recommend that you review that seminar and you will see that it doesn't have to be too much of a pain.

I spent a few minutes figuring out how to do it with my system and implemented it in a day. The keg purging method adds almost no time to your day. I should have been doing it all along, but I didn't think that cold-side oxidation was that big of a problem...I was wrong.

I'd have to check with Joe to be certain, but I believe it does.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2016, 09:26:05 am »
Brewing a German Pils with my new sack of Barke malt on Sunday.  Wish I had some brewtan... Denny, why weren't you handing out little ziplock baggies of it at the conference?  I'm sure the TSA wouldn't have thought that odd.

Ya know, if either of us had thought of it, I could have introduced you to the guy I got it from.  He had packs he was handing out.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2016, 09:26:57 am »
I have not studied the purging method yet, but do commercial breweries do this?  I don't think so.  I guess that's part of my reasoning.  In addition, I use iodophor and I don't think I can just park it in another keg for months.  That said, it is coming fairly clear that O2 reduction at kegging is a critical step and I will be looking at all methods.  Might even do both ascorbic acid AND LODO purge.  Ever since I read about liquid CO2 only being 99% pure I've really started to OCD. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2016, 09:27:23 am »
Not sure if I would do it with lagers yet, but on ales I am definitely trying some ascorbic acid at kegging before implementing LODO purging.  Readily available at any LHBS.

I didn't find any change at all by doing that.  I'll be curious to know what you find.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2016, 09:51:38 am »
and even clearing tubing of air before transfers.

Hmm? I didn't think of that. I guess you blow some CO2 through the hose first?

How do you accomplish that with your system? I can't see an easy way, off hand.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

narvin

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2016, 10:00:10 am »

Ya know, if either of us had thought of it, I could have introduced you to the guy I got it from.  He had packs he was handing out.

D'OH!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2016, 10:01:18 am »
and even clearing tubing of air before transfers.

Hmm? I didn't think of that. I guess you blow some CO2 through the hose first?

How do you accomplish that with your system? I can't see an easy way, off hand.
I do this as well. I rack using an orange carboy hood. I start with the cane tip in the head space and give a few blasts from my air gun. I then lower it into the beer and give one good blast at 3-5 psi to get the transfer going. I only use gas to stay the transfer, from there is all gravity. My line is short, so even if I didn't do this, there would less than an ounce (by volume) of air in the line.