Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 133043 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #930 on: November 29, 2016, 11:09:59 am »
What is the thinking behind dissolving the Brewtan in a wort slurry for the boil addition?  Is that really necessary?

Joe says it necessary and he knows more about it than anyone I know.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #931 on: November 29, 2016, 09:42:34 pm »
So a discussion in another thread about the perception if increased roast flavor in LODO beer ha me questioning the role of Brewtan B as a factor.  Brewtan B is tannic acid.  Aren't roasted malts roasty because of tannins?  If so, could the increase in tannins due to tannic acid increase the roasty flavor perceptions?  Or does the tannic acid in Brewtan Breact with other compounds that make it into somethings that is no longer tannic acid?  Or are tannins not what make roasted malts have the roasted flavor?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #932 on: November 30, 2016, 09:07:39 am »
Last Sunday, I brewed a Rochefort 4 with lodo techniques and BTB. I noticed the trub was much more compact than usually, and so more clear wort could be racked off as a nice side effect. Is this lodo, BTB, combination of the two?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

The Beerery

« Reply #933 on: November 30, 2016, 09:44:55 am »
So a discussion in another thread about the perception if increased roast flavor in LODO beer ha me questioning the role of Brewtan B as a factor.  Brewtan B is tannic acid.  Aren't roasted malts roasty because of tannins?  If so, could the increase in tannins due to tannic acid increase the roasty flavor perceptions?  Or does the tannic acid in Brewtan Breact with other compounds that make it into somethings that is no longer tannic acid?  Or are tannins not what make roasted malts have the roasted flavor?

I do not use BTB currently, my roast flavor is still intense.

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #934 on: November 30, 2016, 09:52:20 am »
Last Sunday, I brewed a Rochefort 4 with lodo techniques and BTB. I noticed the trub was much more compact than usually, and so more clear wort could be racked off as a nice side effect. Is this lodo, BTB, combination of the two?
Did you combine it with whirlfloc/ Irish moss? What do you mean by usual? Whirlfloc?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline hafmpty

• 1st Kit
« Reply #935 on: November 30, 2016, 09:52:41 am »
I just ordered a 50 gram packet of BrewTan B from iBrew.com.au.

I use a Tower of Power recirculating system to brew 2.5gal BIAB batches. What would you recommend for my dosage?

I know the standard amount is 1/4tsp per 5gal in the strike water and 1/2tsp per 5gal in the boil. My mash volume varies based on my grain bill to get me to my target pre-boil volume, but it hovers around 5gal. As for other volumes:

I aim for 4.25gal pre-boil volume for a 60min boil & 4.75gal for a 90min boil. Post-boil I shoot for 3.25gal with 3gal going into the fermenter.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #936 on: November 30, 2016, 10:00:50 am »
Did you combine it with whirlfloc/ Irish moss? What do you mean by usual? Whirlfloc?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Ah yes, I also used Supermoss. Was able to collect three liters of wort more than the previous brew, which admittedly contained a much larger amount of hops.
Frank P.

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #937 on: November 30, 2016, 10:29:55 am »

I use a Tower of Power recirculating system to brew 2.5gal BIAB batches. What would you recommend for my dosage?

I know the standard amount is 1/4tsp per 5gal in the strike water and 1/2tsp per 5gal in the boil. My mash volume varies based on my grain bill to get me to my target pre-boil volume, but it hovers around 5gal. As for other volumes:

I aim for 4.25gal pre-boil volume for a 60min boil & 4.75gal for a 90min boil. Post-boil I shoot for 3.25gal with 3gal going into the fermenter.

What I did I weight it in grams and scale it to the depending volume. If anyone can correct me if this is the correct procedure?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #938 on: November 30, 2016, 11:25:34 am »
Of course that is correct. Here in Europe we despise people that use teaspoons to measure things
Frank P.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #939 on: November 30, 2016, 11:27:51 am »
Of course that is correct. Here in Europe we despise people that use teaspoons to measure things

Despicable me...
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #940 on: November 30, 2016, 12:25:29 pm »

Proper dosing as I understand it is as follows...

1/4 tsp per every 5 gallons of strike water
1/4 tsp per every 5 gallons of mash water used
1/2 tsp with about 15 minutes left in boil prior to adding any clarifiers (irish moss, whirlfloc, etc) mixed with small amount of wort (1/2 cup or so) before adding back to boil.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #941 on: November 30, 2016, 12:51:02 pm »
What I did I weight it in grams and scale it to the depending volume. If anyone can correct me if this is the correct procedure?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Measuring mass is always better than measuring volume for mineral additions, hop additions, etc.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #942 on: November 30, 2016, 12:57:57 pm »
Mass is better than volume measurement when dealing with bulking materials that can create measurement errors. This is less of a problem when measuring materials that aren't fluffy or sticky, but getting into the habit of measuring in mass will always be more accurate.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hafmpty

• 1st Kit
« Reply #943 on: November 30, 2016, 01:03:57 pm »
Yep...I do most of my measurements in mass. My question/concern though is that I'm not ADDING extra water past the mash step. I'm not adding sparging water like most do. Most of the BTB will be bound up in the grain because I recirculate and will be lifted out when I pull my grain basket. Beyond that my boil isn't 5gal.

The recommendations Joe gives (stated in tsp measurements) vs. the stated measurements & calculations from the manufacturer are different. Denny wants to stick with Joe's recommendations. I'd like to try both. Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong.

Is it true to say...In the mash, I'm adding BTB with the expectation that most of the BTB will be left behind in the grain? Is it also true to say I'm then adding BTB to the boil with the expectation being I'll leave most of that behind in the trub? If that's the case, I'll calculate based on my volume of mash water and then at the end of the boil.

Sound correct?

Anyone have the grams per gallon recommendation from the manufacturer. I know it was posted on here earlier, but can't find the exact post.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #944 on: November 30, 2016, 01:16:47 pm »
8 grams per 120 liters in mash, 5 grams per 120 liters in boil.
Frank P.