Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 105095 times)

RPIScotty

Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2016, 04:07:25 pm »
If the oxidation occurs on the hot side as fast as it is claimed to occur, then I don't see how the chemical additives will prevent the issue from arising, unless added to the process at the very start - is that what is being done?

Yes. SMB is added to preboiled and chilled strike water. No sparge is employed as well.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2016, 11:12:14 am »
Brewed a Marzen the other day and added Brewtan to the mash along with smb and preboiled strike water. The wort came out crystal clear unlike my previous Helles Brewtan batch but I think I overdosed it after rereading the manufactures recommended dosage of 2-6g per hl (calculated on volume of final beer) not strike water.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2016, 12:19:37 pm »
Brewed a Marzen the other day and added Brewtan to the mash along with smb and preboiled strike water. The wort came out crystal clear unlike my previous Helles Brewtan batch but I think I overdosed it after rereading the manufactures recommended dosage of 2-6g per hl (calculated on volume of final beer) not strike water.

The Brewtan rep who introduced me to it (who also happens to be a multi NHC winner) said for a 5 gal. batch use 1/4 tsp. in the mash water and 1/2 tsp. mixed in a slurry the last 15 min.  Add the slurry before other finings.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2016, 12:24:33 pm »
So I had a chance to taste test my Brewtan beers yesterday.  This was not a blind test, just some samples I took while kegging.  Therefore, these are my impressions, not test results.  I need to brew a few more back to back batches before making any final pronouncements.  That said, here's my first impression...I brewed 2 batches of identical (as much as I could make trhem) German pils and a single batch of Rye IPA.  Comparing the pils, I'd say the Brewtan batch looks slightly clearer.  It has a more pronounced malt flavor than the non Brewtan batch.  The Rye IPA seems to have a much fuller, more present rye and barley presence than it usually does, but remember I don't have a "normal" batch to compare it to.  I will continue testing, but at this point it seems promising.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2016, 12:29:58 pm »
So I had a chance to taste test my Brewtan beers yesterday.  This was not a blind test, just some samples I took while kegging.  Therefore, these are my impressions, not test results.  I need to brew a few more back to back batches before making any final pronouncements.  That said, here's my first impression...I brewed 2 batches of identical (as much as I could make trhem) German pils and a single batch of Rye IPA.  Comparing the pils, I'd say the Brewtan batch looks slightly clearer.  It has a more pronounced malt flavor than the non Brewtan batch.  The Rye IPA seems to have a much fuller, more present rye and barley presence than it usually does, but remember I don't have a "normal" batch to compare it to.  I will continue testing, but at this point it seems promising.

Good to hear some early info, Denny. I'm brewing an O-fest with Brewtan B next weekend, then a German Pils.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2016, 12:36:23 pm »
This is good news. I would love to get my hands on some of this even if its just for a couple batches. Also still curious about shelf life.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »
AHA put up the conference seminars, for those curious.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Education Director
BJCP Assistant Education Director
BJCP Master/Mead

Redbird Brewhouse - There's Always a Project
Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2016, 01:04:28 pm »
This was my first batch using Brewtan B, so no big pronouncements to be made. But I'm encouraged. The clarity of the mash runoff and of the wort I used for OG reading was noticeably better than normal for me. Most notably, the flavor of the wort sample was beyond belief. Granted, I used all Weyermann Barke malts (in a Marzen) for the first time, which seem to be of very high quality. But I've never had a wort sample with that much complex malt character. Really looking forward to assessing the beer, in overall quality, clarity, and shelf life.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2016, 04:10:22 pm »
Anyone know the difference between brewtan A and brewtan B? I have some of both.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2016, 04:13:09 pm »
Never mind, googled it. The A stuff is tanal A and is for keeping heffes hazy. Hmm, maybe juicy beers too?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2016, 04:17:27 pm »
Anyone know the difference between brewtan A and brewtan B? I have some of both.

I think the main difference is that A is a finer particle that sometimes needs to be filtered out to be clear. B claims to be a higher molecular weight particle that settles out easily. Seems to be true because my mash runnings today were clear and postboil wort dropped clear in the kettle really quickly. Past that I'm not sure if there are any other differences.

Edit - Reading your post, it definitely looks like A would make a hazy beer if it weren't filtered.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2016, 06:57:35 am »
Good to hear fellas.

I did my best at a Low DO batch on Sunday with a faux pilsner (with 1007 because I want to top crop). The wort was clear and had the nastiest looking egg drop soup look I've ever seen; unbelievable amount of hot break. I'm really curious as to how this turns out. It really only added about 30 minutes to my brew session, so no big deal if it makes a noticeable difference. Which perhaps it won't since I used my copper chiller.
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2016, 01:30:28 pm »
Which perhaps it won't since I used my copper chiller.

Oh man, you had it all right until the copper went in.... ;)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2016, 03:47:53 pm »

Well, I used the copper chiller to chill the preboil water too for both mash and sparge and I saw the most hot break ever, seriously gross looking egg drop soup...never had that before in the 8 years I've been brewing. I'm curious as hell to see how this turns out...
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2016, 03:54:51 pm »

Well, I used the copper chiller to chill the preboil water too for both mash and sparge and I saw the most hot break ever, seriously gross looking egg drop soup...never had that before in the 8 years I've been brewing. I'm curious as hell to see how this turns out...

So you preboiled/chilled the mash and sparge waters. Did you use Campden? Low, short boil? Cap the mash? I ask because I purposely kept my routine the same while using the Brewtan, except that I soaked my copper IC in Starsan before adding to the kettle. It did appear to remove most of the oxide layer which I thought was the real offender with the copper. Curious to see how your beer, Denny's and mine come out.
Jon H.