Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 107747 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #345 on: September 16, 2016, 02:11:15 pm »
It's that thousand different factors that makes me not won't to bother. It's like hipster pour over coffee. I'm sure it's great, but I don't need the stress.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #346 on: September 16, 2016, 02:24:17 pm »
It's that thousand different factors that makes me not won't to bother. It's like hipster pour over coffee. I'm sure it's great, but I don't need the stress.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me, too.

Same here. Brewtan in the mash and boil is easy and doable for me. Trying to exclude every molecule of O2 in the atmosphere at every step, not so much. Who knows, I may feel differently down the line.
Jon H.

Offline narvin

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
« Reply #347 on: September 16, 2016, 04:27:40 pm »

I have a different view: I don't buy it.  At least as it's presented.  Your malt flavors are not being destroyed.  It's pseudoscience.

What I think IS happening is that polyphenols and other nefarious compounds are created and only finally disappear after a long period of lagering.  I'm more interested in Brewtan and possibly Brewbrite (carageenan+pvpp) on the hot side, although I'm sure fining on the cold side could help too.  But either way, I think that avoiding a long lagering period at the homebrew scale gives you the best of both worlds: freshness and cleanness.

But my lagers age well, and get better once they clear (even better than using gelatin which is mostly active for yeast).

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #348 on: September 16, 2016, 05:44:29 pm »

But my lagers age well, and get better once they clear (even better than using gelatin which is mostly active for yeast).

Agreed. I am currently enjoying an International Pale lager that has been in the keg for 9 wks and it tastes fantastic right now! Even better than about 3 wks ago too. It is being judged at a comp today, so we shall see what they think of it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #349 on: September 16, 2016, 05:58:50 pm »
+1. Aside from anything, definitely all about getting lagers clear fairly quickly. My Ofest gets judged in 3 weeks - curious to see how it does in general, then to read the comments as it was brewed with Brewtan and Weyermann Barke malts. I don't enter as many comps nowadays. Just the beers I feel pretty strongly about, except for most of my American hoppy beers (which account for half of many comp entries). Too much a crapshoot for the effort. I know they're good.
Jon H.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #350 on: September 16, 2016, 05:59:21 pm »
That was in context to using copper not stainless.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #351 on: September 16, 2016, 06:05:49 pm »
That was in context to using copper not stainless.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
My opinion is the fact that there are way too many steps and processes and voodoo and wishful thinking for me to want to attempt low oxygen brewing.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #352 on: September 17, 2016, 04:50:30 pm »
Have you had pour over coffee??? It's different and it DEFINITELY makes a difference. Why the resistance to improve? I guess if you're happy with what you're doing then no one should be piping up in these conversations because it doesn't help us move forward, evolve our craft. I'm not happy with American beer and I've not been happy with the beer I've made for a long time (read: not as happy as I feel I should be) and I'm searching for the answer. Whether low DO and all stainless is it or not, I'm about to find out. But pour over coffee definitely makes a difference and it's good. Different methods for different results, really. It's real, dude.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:54:45 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Stevie

Brewtan B
« Reply #353 on: September 17, 2016, 05:29:38 pm »
I get that, i just feel the strict steps where one mistake ruins the effort isn't for me. I've had plenty of pour over coffee. It's fine, but not worth the ritual for me

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #354 on: September 17, 2016, 09:44:07 pm »
Ok, I had to google that.  Sheeesh, at my age, I don't need the stress either! 
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #355 on: September 17, 2016, 10:58:26 pm »
Ok, I had to google that.  Sheeesh, at my age, I don't need the stress either! 
At your age??? Dude, sounds like you've given up on life. Age is just a number. Learning is an ongoing thing.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #356 on: September 18, 2016, 09:20:11 am »
To me, the process seems ridiculously complicated.  In addition, as far as we all know, the benefits are questionable.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #357 on: September 18, 2016, 10:32:44 am »
To me, the process seems ridiculously complicated.  In addition, as far as we all know, the benefits are questionable.
Well, they are questionable, I won't argue with that. But I intend to find out for myself. And if I like what I produce, I'm going to stick with it.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #358 on: September 18, 2016, 11:14:23 am »
Well, they are questionable, I won't argue with that. But I intend to find out for myself. And if I like what I produce, I'm going to stick with it.

Good for you! 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #359 on: September 18, 2016, 07:20:37 pm »
Preboil water and buy a stainless chiller is too complicated?
Hey, I'm not here to sell lodo. Do it, don't do it, makes no difference to me. But if someone feels like they make good beer and it's just missing that something, it's worth looking into.
Cheers