Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 105057 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #390 on: September 20, 2016, 11:04:01 am »
One question I have about LODO and even Brewtan is what about all the gold medals from days gone by? Would those beers loose in a contemporary competition because LODO and/or Brewtan have raised the bar so dramatically?

I can't imagine that 100% or even 75% of the NHC medal winners perform LODO brewing and they are making amazing beers (albeit some of the best in the country, at least that get entered anyway). I bet numbers would be more in the range of under 30% at best.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #391 on: September 20, 2016, 11:10:47 am »
And, Denny, you being into the experimental brewing thing, this should be right up your alley, dude. Try it and see for yourself. That's basically your motto.

Anyway, I feel like this is a frivolous battle. Brew the way you want to brew that gets you the results you want. End of argument.

I'm also the pragmatic guy....I have to have a reason to expect results, and the process itself has to be reasonable enough so that there's a payback for the effort I put into it.  I don't see that here...yet.  That's why I want to see something other than "the mash smells better" from the people who advocate it.  And yes, I know that there's more to it than the way the mash smells, but at this point I don't see anyting that makes me excited to try it.

And ultimately I agree with you last 3 sentences.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #392 on: September 20, 2016, 11:29:22 am »
And, Denny, you being into the experimental brewing thing, this should be right up your alley, dude. Try it and see for yourself. That's basically your motto.

Anyway, I feel like this is a frivolous battle. Brew the way you want to brew that gets you the results you want. End of argument.

I'm also the pragmatic guy....I have to have a reason to expect results, and the process itself has to be reasonable enough so that there's a payback for the effort I put into it.  I don't see that here...yet.  That's why I want to see something other than "the mash smells better" from the people who advocate it.  And yes, I know that there's more to it than the way the mash smells, but at this point I don't see anyting that makes me excited to try it.

And ultimately I agree with you last 3 sentences.
Does this mean you will stop knocking something you haven't tried? Nobody is asking you to endorse it either.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #393 on: September 20, 2016, 11:58:28 am »
Does this mean you will stop knocking something you haven't tried? Nobody is asking you to endorse it either.

I don't think I've ever "knocked" it, if I understand your meaning.  I have expressed great skepticism and asked for proof.  I will likely continue that until I see proof that inspires me to try it.  And even then, how will I know I've achieved anything since as far as I know there is no definition if "IT".

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #394 on: September 20, 2016, 12:32:46 pm »
How are those that spund dealing with the schedule? Are you checking daily and then racking as soon as it hits your racking target?

My schedule isn't flexible enough for daily testing and I am sure those with family commitments are doubly hosed in that regard.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #395 on: September 20, 2016, 12:56:03 pm »
I haven't tried it yet.

My plan is to use it for the first time when brewing my cask-conditioned Thanksgiving beer. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll brew the recipe and keg as normal. Should give me some good data points, which I'll then use when I rebrew. Hopefully that data enables me to schedule the rebrew such that I have plenty of time to rack/prime/fine the beer when the gravity is ideal.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #396 on: September 20, 2016, 01:03:18 pm »
My schedule isn't flexible enough for daily testing and I am sure those with family commitments are doubly hosed in that regard.

Yeah, exactly. It's been tough enough for a while (with the kids' activities) to find time to brew as often as I'd like. So for now, using Brewtan and kegging with ascorbic is as close as I'm getting. Regardless, we do seem to be at diminishing returns with arguing about lodo. But I do appreciate people posting their lodo practices and how they feel the final beer is impacted, as points of data. We're all pretty much scratching the surface on this stuff, so we need to remember to be civil.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #397 on: September 20, 2016, 01:04:43 pm »
I still want a spunding valve. Would be crazy helpful for over carbed beers

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #398 on: September 20, 2016, 01:40:44 pm »

Plans in Experimental Homebrewing

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #399 on: September 20, 2016, 02:29:29 pm »

Plans in Experimental Homebrewing
The parts are a bit too high on Amazon right now. Monitoring the prices and will order when they bottom out again.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #400 on: September 21, 2016, 08:21:55 am »

I don't think I've ever "knocked" it, if I understand your meaning.  I have expressed great skepticism and asked for proof.  I will likely continue that until I see proof that inspires me to try it.  And even then, how will I know I've achieved anything since as far as I know there is no definition if "IT".
I think that if you don't understand what IT is at this point, then you never will. Fresh lingering grain, like sticking your face in a fresh sack of grain and chewing on a couple of the kernels; standing in a wheat or barley field in the summer with a light breeze blowing in your face...
Besides that, you seem so reluctant to "know" what "IT" is. It's just a pure, rich malt flavor; flavor that malt was intended to impart. Ever had a fresh Bitburger or Ayinger? IT is there and in your face. If you can't taste that, then you never will. Might be like some people get soap from cilantro and other don't.
Not trying to be a jerk, just that you've mentioned multiple times now over the course of this whole thing about there not being a definition. Throw that mentality out the window and drink the beer! You will know.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:24:58 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #401 on: September 21, 2016, 09:39:18 am »
I think that if you don't understand what IT is at this point, then you never will. Fresh lingering grain, like sticking your face in a fresh sack of grain and chewing on a couple of the kernels; standing in a wheat or barley field in the summer with a light breeze blowing in your face...
Besides that, you seem so reluctant to "know" what "IT" is. It's just a pure, rich malt flavor; flavor that malt was intended to impart. Ever had a fresh Bitburger or Ayinger? IT is there and in your face. If you can't taste that, then you never will. Might be like some people get soap from cilantro and other don't.
Not trying to be a jerk, just that you've mentioned multiple times now over the course of this whole thing about there not being a definition. Throw that mentality out the window and drink the beer! You will know.

If that's what "IT" is, then I already have "IT" more often than not.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #402 on: September 21, 2016, 09:51:02 am »

If that's what "IT" is, then I already have "IT" more often than not.
Well good for you. Why are you participating in this conversation then? You should be brewing beer professionally that tastes legions better than any American craft beer. Because this fresh lingering grain flavor/aroma is not present in any American craft beer that I've had.
But we've already been over this. Not going through it all again.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:52:49 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #403 on: September 21, 2016, 10:16:22 am »
Well good for you. Why are you participating in this conversation then? You should be brewing beer professionally that tastes legions better than any American craft beer. Because this fresh lingering grain flavor/aroma is not present in any American craft beer that I've had.

I have no desire to brew commercially.  Never have.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #404 on: September 21, 2016, 12:16:16 pm »

I have no desire to brew commercially.  Never have.
Well, I don't blame you there. Just saying, that if you really think you have IT in your beers, you'd be number one in the country. No American craft beer has it that I've tasted. Anyway...
Jesse