Author Topic: Brewtan B  (Read 105048 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Brewtan B
« Reply #645 on: October 13, 2016, 01:40:29 pm »
I don't have that either...though that's actually in my cart on morebeer. Seems my RO system is either on its way out, or never really removed chloramines. Last beer has a band-aid/plastic nastiness that I'm attributing to that.

But again, that won't be here for the weekend. I'm brewing with distilled this time around.

And again, I'm not trying to recreate a modern German brewery. Post-fermentation I'll be taking great efforts to prevent oxidation, trying to see if pre-boiling alone would do anything.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #646 on: October 13, 2016, 01:41:15 pm »
No sparge all beers? Even low gravity beers that would be near 5qt/lb?

Are you purging the pump and line with bottled co2? If so, you're not worried about oxygen pickup there.

You shouldn't have to exceed 3 qts/lb down to around 11 °P.

SMB will be providing active scavenging.
3% table beer at 7°?
I have no problem hitting 1050 no sparge at 68% efficiency

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #647 on: October 13, 2016, 01:41:25 pm »
I might be mistaken but I thought pretty much every LHBS carried SMB. It's easier and cheaper to acquire than brewtan.  ::)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #648 on: October 13, 2016, 01:43:25 pm »
My LHBS is an hour and a half away...one way.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #649 on: October 13, 2016, 01:45:49 pm »

Are you purging the pump and line with bottled co2? If so, you're not worried about oxygen pickup there.

3% table beer at 7°?
What about a 1.023 beer?  I keep one in for my wife. She likes the table beers

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #650 on: October 13, 2016, 01:47:06 pm »
My LHBS is an hour and a half away...one way.

I'll bet any outdoorsy/camping store has Campden, if that's any closer to you.  It's commonly used to sanitize water for hikers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #651 on: October 13, 2016, 01:50:50 pm »

3% table beer at 7°?
I don't know that I have ever made a beer that low. But there is no reason why it wouldn't work.

Big Monk

« Reply #652 on: October 13, 2016, 01:53:17 pm »

3% table beer at 7°?
I don't know that I have ever made a beer that low. But there is no reason why it wouldn't work.

Well there is definitely a reason it would be feasible.

If you can't get gravity and volume to line up then you're a little screwed. You're only variables for no sparge are grain weight and WTG.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #653 on: October 13, 2016, 01:59:22 pm »
But he might not have been pre-boiling or racking and stirring gently. My water goes from kettle to bucket to cooler, I have no ability to try all of the techniques the GBF recommends. Considering it's all or nothing per the members, i won't be able to try any of it until I have a three vessel system with enough volume to hold all my water at once for pre-boiling.

That is correct...I did nothing more than use campden.  But doesn't it seem like it should have done something if it was going to do anything?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #654 on: October 13, 2016, 02:00:52 pm »
For any who have tried it, how likely am I to see results from just pre-boiling and mashing carefully?

Might try that if I brew tomorrow. Keep in mind, I'm not aiming for recreating a modern, low oxygen brewery. Simply an early 20th century British brewery. Pre-boiling still fits that vibe, as it could have been done for water mineral reasons. If that's not going to have an effect on oxygen levels at the end of the mash I'm not going to bother.

Everything I've heard implies it's an all or nothing thing.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #655 on: October 13, 2016, 02:02:48 pm »
I might be mistaken but I thought pretty much every LHBS carried SMB. It's easier and cheaper to acquire than brewtan.  ::)

Yes, but it appears to be only a part of the process while Brewtan is the whole thing.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #656 on: October 13, 2016, 02:04:13 pm »

Leave it to us Americans -- and Aussies! -- to figure out all the shortcuts that work best.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

« Reply #657 on: October 13, 2016, 02:10:25 pm »

Yes, but it appears to be only a part of the process while Brewtan is the whole thing.

Keep pushing that Brewtan!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #658 on: October 13, 2016, 02:12:49 pm »

Keep pushing that Brewtan!

I am not "pushing" anything.  I was making a statement about the use of the various methods.  I have no reason to "push" Brewtan other than to hopefully help homebrewers make better beer.  Which is I assume the same motivation the LODO brewers have.  At least I hope so.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #659 on: October 13, 2016, 02:14:19 pm »

Leave it to us Americans -- and Aussies! -- to figure out all the shortcuts that work best.  :)
It's not shortcuts.  I am a firm believer in kaizen process improvement methods. The idea is incremental changes toward improvements.