Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boston in May  (Read 3375 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Boston in May
« on: March 11, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »
So for my birthday my parents are taking my girlfriend and I out to Boston for three days. We got free tickets to a Red Sox Game and I think we are going to catch a tour of the Sam Adams brewery or Harpoon brewery depending on our schedule and when we can go. Besides that is there any bars/breweries./brews in the Boston area I should keep my eye open for?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Boston in May
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 07:01:19 pm »
Trillium in Boston, great beer but not sure about what is available at the brewery. If you like lagers Jack's Abby in Framingham is an all lager brewery. Been a long time since I've spent time in Boston bars so out of the loop. Cask and Flagon is the classic pre game bar. Post game I always preferred to get out of the Kenmore Squre area and walk to the Back Bay where you could find a bar where you could actually sit down and have a beer.
As far as local beers to look for on tap or bottled: Trillium, Night Shift, Element. Some may have Spencer Abbey on tap which is a nice treat.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline joebrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 12:18:47 pm »
Good advice so far.  I would add Mystic and Cambridge Brewing to the brewery list and I would place Row 34 as my #1 beer bar and seafood place.  Deep Ellum in Allston, Lord Hobo and Meadhall in Cambridge, Stoddard's in the theater district. Bukowski's downtown.  Craft Beer Cellar is decent for a bottle shop; as is Gordon's or Marty's.  For historical places, Jacob Wirth or Union Oyster House.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:21:15 pm »
glad this thread came up - I am going to be there next Thursday for work and will be there overnight.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 01:38:16 pm »
Good advice so far.  I would add Mystic and Cambridge Brewing to the brewery list and I would place Row 34 as my #1 beer bar and seafood place.  Deep Ellum in Allston, Lord Hobo and Meadhall in Cambridge, Stoddard's in the theater district. Bukowski's downtown.  Craft Beer Cellar is decent for a bottle shop; as is Gordon's or Marty's.  For historical places, Jacob Wirth or Union Oyster House.
I've never been to Row34 but it looks right up my alley with oysters and beer. That Fort Point area has really taken off post Big Dig, you used to be more likely to find a body left by Whitey Bulger's crew than an oyster/beer bar.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 06:17:21 am »
Definitely hit Trillium in Fort Point and pick up some bottles (they only sell bottles and growlers fills there...really small place).  If you have time, make the trip out to Night Shift.  Tons of taps flowing and you can pick up some cans of stuff to take home with you. 

If you find yourself in Brighton, hit the Sunset Grille.  It has become our destination after Extreme Beerfest the last couple years.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:27:25 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 06:42:34 am »
Definitely hit Trillium in Fort Point and pick up some bottles (they only sell bottles and growlers fills there...really small place).  If you have time, make the trip out to Night Shift.  Tons of taps flowing and you can pick up some cans of stuff to take home with you. 

If you find yourself in Brighton, hit the Sunset Grille.  It has become out destination after extreme beerfest the last couple years.
Oh man, the Sunset Grill! They had a billion beers in the early nineties before craft beer was a thing. They had decent food and prices were cheap back in the day. Here's a plan: after the Sox game take the green line outbound from Kenmore square right away and go to the Sunset Grill. You don't want to hang out in the places right near fenway, too crowded. If you have a car you can park in Brighton cheaper too and take the T in and back. BTW you don't need a car if your not leaving the city, you can get all over Boston and Cambridge by using the MBTA and walking. Just get a good map, it is certainly not laid out in a grid like Manhattan.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 06:45:30 am »
Uber works well in Boston too.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 05:41:53 pm »
There is a brewery across the street from Fenway.  Boston beer company I think.  Great beer and food.  Highly recommended it!  Also +1 to the "t" recommendations. You can get anywhere and it's part of the Boston experience.  My favorite city  by far.  GO SOX!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 05:42:42 am »
There is a brewery across the street from Fenway.  Boston beer company I think.  Great beer and food.  Highly recommended it!  Also +1 to the "t" recommendations. You can get anywhere and it's part of the Boston experience.  My favorite city  by far.  GO SOX!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Boston Beer Works. I used to love it in the nineties and early 2000s when it was about the only place around that brewed their own beers I haven't been there in a good 10 years partly because I don't get into the city as much and partly because I assumed (but certainly don't know) that it wouldn't keep up with the times. It sounds like maybe it has.
Another thing that is fun in Boston if the weather is nice is that a lot of restaurants have outdoor seating. I like taking a break from walking around by sitting in the sun with a drink and some appetizers and people watch. Newbury St is good for this and it ends at the Public Gardens which are beautiful in May.

Online waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 06:53:58 pm »
Not related to beer, but you should hit the North End for Italian.  Lived in NH for a few years and loved the food there.

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 06:17:33 am »
... Bukowski's downtown.

We discovered Jack's Abbey Smoke and Dagger at Bukowski Tavern.  Their White Trash Poutine is among the best "goes well with beer" food I've ever had.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 09:08:36 pm »
Just got back from Boston and what a fun time. I stayed in the south end just off Mass Ave, and had some good selections of places to go. Picked up a bottle of 'Norse Legend' from the Sam Adams Brewery which sounds awesome. A couple of places to eat/drink that i thought were really nice but The Parish Cafe was amazing, hundreds of brews and awesome sandwiches. Overall awesome trip can't wait to go back!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout