Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The 2 B's  (Read 3129 times)

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
The 2 B's
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:34:00 pm »
That's beer and baseball.  I am a St. Louis Cardinals fan born and bred. I have been to Yankee stadium (the last one) Busch stadium (of course) and the home pf the Padres. Yankee Stadium had ctap for beer bud of I remember right.  Busch stadium of course has AB products but also has 2 stands you can get Schlafly at. The Padres ballpark is a beer lovers dream.  Arrogant Bastard has a pub attached to the stadium and loss of other choices for micro brews.  In planning on hiring up safeco field this summer and hear there is some great beer there. So what does your stadium have?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: The 2 B's
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 07:08:04 am »
...I have been to Yankee stadium (the last onethe real one) Busch stadium...

Fixed that for you.

I'm pretty fortunate that Camden Yards has some pretty good beer options. Both Heavy Seas and Flying Dog have several stands throughout the park, you don't have to go too far to find one. I don't know if they still do it or not but Flying Dog used to even serve real ale on Friday night games.

Of course BMC and Natty Boh are still everywhere, but at least we have options now.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 07:54:18 am »
I haven't been to Fenway in years but when I used to go a couple times a year (pre 2004, when getting tickets became crazy) they were just adding non BMC alternatives: Sam Adams of course, harpoon and they had a couple kiosks with Guinness and Smitwick's. My son and I are planning on going to a game this year, now that tickets are available again, and I'm hoping the choices are good. Overpriced I'm sure but I'll only be having a couple.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 08:24:34 am »
Cincinnati has some pretty good beer at the park, it has changed the last two years. 2014 they had over 100 different craft brews. But as a Cardinal fan, we are somewhat unwelcome at their park. Had alot of heckling. Way more than at Wrigley. Bunch of haters. Nice park though

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:44:07 am »
Cincinnati has some pretty good beer at the park, it has changed the last two years. 2014 they had over 100 different craft brews. But as a Cardinal fan, we are somewhat unwelcome at their park. Had alot of heckling. Way more than at Wrigley. Bunch of haters. Nice park though

Reds fans ought to be heckling their GM instead of Cards fans. Lots of subpar decision making. Just sayin'.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:16:32 am »
True to the Pacific Northwest, the Seattle Mariners have at Safeco Field:

Bale Breaker Brewing – Yakima, WA
Ballast Point Brewing – San Diego, CA
Black Raven Brewing – Redmond, WA
Deschutes Brewing – Bend, OR
Diamond Knot Brewery – Mukilteo, WA
Fremont Brewing – Seattle, WA
Full Sail Brewing – Hood River, OR
GoodLife Brewing – Bend, OR
Iron Horse Brewing – Ellensburg, WA
Laurelwood Brewing – Portland, OR
Ninkasi Brewing – Eugene, WA
No-Li Brewhouse – Spokane, WA
Northwest Brewing – Pacific, WA
Oakshire Brewing – Eugene, OR
Pike Brewing Co. – Seattle, WA
Rogue Ales – Newport, OR
Schooner Exact – Seattle, WA
7 Seas Brewery – Gig Harbor, WA
Skagit River Brewery – Mount Vernon, WA
Stone Brewing Co. – San Diego, CA
21st Amendment – San Francisco, CA
Two Beers Brewing – Seattle, WA
Victory Brewing – Downington, PA

Even Cask beer!
Georgetown Brewing – Seattle, WA
Laurelwood Brewing – Portland, OR
Schooner Exact – Seattle, WA
7 Seas Brewery – Gig Harbor, WA
Silver City – Bremerton, WA
Skagit River Brewing – Mount Vernon, WA
No-Li Brewhouse – Spokane, WA

Now if the could lower the prices...
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 09:48:12 am »
AT&T Park has a lot of good choices. Anchor has a pavilion in center field featuring their beers and spirits from Fritz Maytag's distillery. There are a lot of other choices at the various stands and wines by the glass as well. Nothing like that Safeco Field list, though.

Wrigley Field is locked into Anheuser Busch, so the best you can hope for is some Goose Island beers. I've seen reports of Matilda on tap, but haven't seen it. The Chicago beer scene is booming, so it's too bad they can't find some space to highlight the locals. US Cellular is supposed to have better choices, but that would mean you were at a White Sox game  ;D
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:21:38 pm »

Now if the could lower the prices...

I've only been to one game at Safeco (going to another in a couple of weeks) but if you get there for the "Happy Hour" in the Bullpen they have some pretty good beer specials.  We got a draft beer for 5$ and it was a "in-between" size, bigger than the normal "small" but not as big as the large.  The Happy Hour starts when gates open and goes until 30 minutes before first pitch (gates 90 minutes before).  You can watch warmups and get good drink and food specials.

If I remember correctly, I believe the small was 12 ounces for 6$ and then the large is 20 ounce for 8-9$ depending on the beer.  The happy hour beer was 5$ and 14-16 ounces, so cheaper than the small but bigger.  So that's a good deal at least. 

I was in high school when I went to Turner field in Atlanta, so no idea what the beer was there.. (and that was 20 years ago....)
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
The 2 B's
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 01:48:40 pm »
The Rangers Ballpark has some really great local beer options. Real Ale, Rahr & Sons, Deep Ellum, Revolver. Really good stuff. Like everyone else BMC still runs the advertising show, but the bars with craft beers always have the longest lines.

Edit: they also have New Belgium's Ranger IPA available at most areas because, well I'm sure it's obvious.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:50:18 pm by Hickory »

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 02:36:26 pm »
Wrigley Field is locked into Anheuser Busch, so the best you can hope for is some Goose Island beers. I've seen reports of Matilda on tap, but haven't seen it. The Chicago beer scene is booming, so it's too bad they can't find some space to highlight the locals. US Cellular is supposed to have better choices, but that would mean you were at a White Sox game  ;D

I haven't been to Mobile Phone Park in ages. We used to go to Comisky all the time as a kid. I would love to see Chris Sale pitch though. Yeah, I haven't been impressed with Wrigley's offerings. Owing to the inconvenience of getting to Wrigley, I have preferred to see the Cubs in Milwaukee. We are going to see them in Cinci this year, which I am looking forward to.

We went to Kaufmann Stadium in Kansas City a couple of weeks ago, and sat in the "craft and draft" section. Lots of good options there, and the food was quite good as well.
Kyle M.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 03:56:05 pm »
AT&T Park has a lot of good choices. Anchor has a pavilion in center field featuring their beers and spirits from Fritz Maytag's distillery. There are a lot of other choices at the various stands and wines by the glass as well. Nothing like that Safeco Field list, though.

I was able to get an Old Style at a game last Friday.  My other choices were Heineken, Corona, and Stella.  In the stands you can get Bud, Bud Lite, Green Line, and 312.  I'll take the Old Style all day long.

I don't think I'd trust the taps at Wrigley for a Matilda.  But I might.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 06:45:27 pm »
I haven't been to Fenway in years but when I used to go a couple times a year (pre 2004, when getting tickets became crazy) they were just adding non BMC alternatives: Sam Adams of course, harpoon and they had a couple kiosks with Guinness and Smitwick's. My son and I are planning on going to a game this year, now that tickets are available again, and I'm hoping the choices are good. Overpriced I'm sure but I'll only be having a couple.
They have at least a dozen different craft beers now, mostly local, but you have to walk all over the park to find the one you want. They have Wachusset Green Monsta, Harpoon IPA and Seasonal, SA BL and Seasonal, Guinness, Harp, Cisco, and (best of all ) Smuttynose Finestkind. I'm sure there's a few others that I missed as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 06:14:37 am »
They have at least a dozen different craft beers now, mostly local, but you have to walk all over the park to find the one you want. They have Wachusset Green Monsta, Harpoon IPA and Seasonal, SA BL and Seasonal, Guinness, Harp, Cisco, and (best of all ) Smuttynose Finestkind. I'm sure there's a few others that I missed as well.
Good to know. We'll need to do a walk about right away to find the best places to go. I am fairly tall and need to get up several times during a game to stretch my legs and relieve the claustrophobic feeling so beer shopping will happen.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 08:30:55 am »
Being from Cleveland and formerly in the restaurant biz,  I saw a ton of games at Jacobs Field (true Clevelanders will always call it that) and when I left over 4 years ago, there was plenty of GLBC for local and some larger national brands of non BMC brews to be had. They were not everywhere, but you could find them. Once the games started though, it was sometimes tough back then to turn down a frosty cold BMC in the seats from the roving vendors. I am sure if and when I make it to Great American Ballpark, I will do more searching, because it will be worth to find better. Jacobs Field was beautiful and the gem of the league when it was built, but never had a swimming pool in the outfield like I saw in Phoenix(I think that's where I saw that) That's crazy stuff
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 09:41:02 am »

Bale Breaker Brewing – Yakima, WA
Ballast Point Brewing – San Diego, CA
Deschutes Brewing – Bend, OR
Full Sail Brewing – Hood River, OR