Author Topic: Brewometer  (Read 8189 times)

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: Brewometer
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 07:33:13 am »
I decided not to purchase. It turns out to record gravity and temperature trends you need to place and leave a Bluetooth enabled device (smartphone, tablet) in range of the Brewometer. I don't have a spare device to leave next to my fermenter.

Indeed.  That can be a difference maker, however, I like the direction they went with placing the data in your control. 

I contributed to the Brewmometor kickstarter, and when that did not make its goal, I bought a BeerBug.   I am glad to see  the concept is still moving forward and nearing fruition. 

I like my beer bug, and think it works pretty darn well.  I like the abilty to track my brews remotely on my phone while I am at work, but in some cases, I am uneasy about the the ability of the device to continue to function if the company decides to go a different direction.   (i.e. the beer bug company needs to be around to give you access to your data) 

The Brewmometor, while requireing a device to be in range, is kind of a big thing in my book, because it gives you the data in YOUR CLOUD.   I feel better about being in control of the data, and having in a google spreadsheet... that means I can manipulate the data and possibly add it to my brew logs on my own.      The extra step of finding a spare tablet or old phone... or even picking up a base model Kindle Fire... not too bad a compromise to get the data in my own control!  (I would really like it if they had a PC based app, since I have a computer close by my brewery already)

That being said... I like the Brewbug features and logging it provides, and their support in asnwering questions has been wonderful.  What they do to make the data points available and the methods they display them (graphs, choose the resolution and how many points...) are spot on for what I would do with a more "open source" data logger (like the brewmometor).

I would love to hear futher feedback/updates on the Brewmometor from users!

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline jmitchell3

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 06:44:59 pm »
Have one. Used it for two batches now. Second one is in the mail. Just set my old iphone as a dedicated receiver for the data stream to the cloud. Works like a charm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jmitchell3

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 06:45:49 pm »
Have one. Used it for two batches now. Second one is in the mail. Just set my old iphone as a dedicated receiver for the data stream to the cloud. Works like a charm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The straight part of the blue line was my iphone that ran out of juice, the cable came loose. Anywho, just restarted it and it went along on its merry way...

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 06:55:35 pm »
Could one of you post a pic of it in the fermenter?  Does it need to be recalibrated every time like the Beer Bug?  I have the Beer Bug... I bought it when it was a kickstarter... Wanted it for my meads but found taking it out every time I needed to degas and having to recalibrate it each time made it useless to me... It's literally just collecting dust for me.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 11:18:21 pm »
Could one of you post a pic of it in the fermenter?  Does it need to be recalibrated every time like the Beer Bug?  I have the Beer Bug... I bought it when it was a kickstarter... Wanted it for my meads but found taking it out every time I needed to degas and having to recalibrate it each time made it useless to me... It's literally just collecting dust for me.

I calibrated it once for my first batch with distilled water.  For the second batch, when I threw it in the distilled water, I matched temp and gravity.  You don't have to take it out of the fermenter to calibrate. 
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 08:31:18 am »
Does it output data into a .csv or similar format? Or is the data just usable from their interface? Couldn't find the answer on their website, and it's pretty useless to me if I can't dump the data to other software.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 09:35:10 am »
Does it output data into a .csv or similar format? Or is the data just usable from their interface? Couldn't find the answer on their website, and it's pretty useless to me if I can't dump the data to other software.
The device uploads to an app on a connected Bluetooth enabled smartphone or tablet. From the app you can upload to Google Sheets. You have to leave the Smartphone/tablet in signal range to continually collect trend data.

http://brewometer.net/blogs/news/112916996-posting-brewometer-data-to-the-cloud-google-sheets

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 09:38:52 am »
I'm interested to hear how this goes. I already have a WiFi-enabled Raspberry Pi running BrewPi on the wall right behind my fermentation chamber. With a Bluetooth dongle and a bit of research/configuration, I could probably do this without dedicating another device. If not, I have an old iPhone collecting dust in a drawer anyway.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 09:39:35 am »
Sounds like the missed the boat on adding Wifi.

Offline kbenton00

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 12:13:33 pm »
I'm interested to hear how this goes. I already have a WiFi-enabled Raspberry Pi running BrewPi on the wall right behind my fermentation chamber. With a Bluetooth dongle and a bit of research/configuration, I could probably do this without dedicating another device. If not, I have an old iPhone collecting dust in a drawer anyway.
The new Pi 3 has both bluetooth and wifi on it.  I'm thinking it might make a good data collection/wifi repeater device for use with the brewometer.

KB

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 12:14:58 pm »
Good point. I was a little early to the game so I ended up with a Pi2, but I can always find use for another Linux machine :)

Offline kbenton00

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 12:16:26 pm »
Sounds like the missed the boat on adding Wifi.
I'm thinking its because of power issues. I feel that being battery powered would be a limiting factor when it comes to wifi.

KB

Offline Stevie

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 12:20:33 pm »
The new Pi 3 has both bluetooth and wifi on it.  I'm thinking it might make a good data collection/wifi repeater device for use with the brewometer.

KB

If somebody develops a Linux application, I'd get one. Even better would be if it can be integrated with brewpi.

Offline jimmayhugh

• 1st Kit
    • Buttcrack Brewery
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2016, 10:50:16 am »
If somebody develops a Linux application, I'd get one. Even better would be if it can be integrated with brewpi.

You mean like this?

I did the same thing with a RPi3 and a RPi2 with a bluetooth dongle.

I made a LAMP server, and store the results in a MySQL database and have a webpage to display the results.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2016, 11:01:50 am »
Cool stuff. Glad to see they kept it open.

Any luck integrating with brewpi?