Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY1450 - a couple of questions  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
WY1450 - a couple of questions
« on: May 14, 2016, 05:49:37 am »
I've used this yeast for the first time last week in a pale ale, and have a couple of questions:

Fermenting at 18c/64f, how long should I expect this to take ferment out 19L of 1.055 wort?

Having never actually tasted the results of the yeast, but having read the descriptions of it, it sounds like a good yeast for a mild.  My alternate yeast for the beer would be WLP005, what would people recommend?
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Re: WY1450 - a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 06:19:05 am »
I took a sample earlier, that came out as 1.022, so it's attenuated 59% so far (planned FG 1.014/74% attenuation).  I'm tempted to knock it up a degree or two (celcius).  My plan is to try and free the fermentation fridge up next weekend to get the mild on, so that I can have the mild ready for a beer festival on 2 July.
Dom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 08:32:51 am »
I like to give it maybe 4 days @ 62-64F (normal strength beer) then ramp up to 68 or 70F over a couple days to finish. It's probably @ FG in a week but I leave it in primary an extra week to clean up. Great strain!
Jon H.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 09:26:57 am »
Do you think I'm safe to add my dry hops, or should I wait a couple of days?
Dom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 09:33:26 am »
Do you think I'm safe to add my dry hops, or should I wait a couple of days?

Personally, I'd either wait until the airlock activity is near done or wait a week or two until the beer has dropped fairly clear and add the dry hops. Or dry hop in the keg, if you keg. It'll be good either way.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 09:47:00 am »
Like any other yeast, it's done when it's done.  I follow pretty much the same schedule Jon does and after 3-5 days at 63 I crank it up to 70.  I never dry hop before fermentation is completed and I prefer to get the beer off the yeast before dry hopping.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 12:08:44 pm »
I've had good success starting that strain around 64F and ramping it up two degrees a day after it hit high krausen. I leave most beers at ambient for a week after visible fermentation is complete, then I cold crash before kegging or racking/lagering.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:12:39 pm by skyler »

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 11:46:55 am »
Thanks for the answers, sounds like I'm not going to be able to get this bottled next week as planned.  If I took the FV out of the fridge, is this a yeast that would be fine sitting at room temp (21/22c) for the last 7 days?
Dom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 11:51:07 am »
Thanks for the answers, sounds like I'm not going to be able to get this bottled next week as planned.  If I took the FV out of the fridge, is this a yeast that would be fine sitting at room temp (21/22c) for the last 7 days?

If you're past the first 4 or 5 days of fermentation, sure.
Jon H.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 11:56:31 am »
Cheers, I think I'll leave it in the fridge this week at 20c, then move it out and dry hop it.  That'll give me time to get the mild brewed, bottled, and carbed in time for the beer fest.
Dom

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 04:45:20 am »
I upped the temp first to 20c, and then to 21c, and took another gravity reading last night.  Gravity has moved slightly (1.020), but is still some distance off my expecteded FG (1.014).  The sample was still incredibly cloudy with what I assume is suspended yeast.  Wort was mashed at 66c, although I did forget my acid additions (so Bru'n Water estimates the mash pH at 5.6).

Am I likely to see any further movement in gravity (last 2 measurement have been 1.020) or should I proceed with cold crashing, and dry hopping?  I don't mind leaving it to ferment out if it's likely to reach it's expected gravity.
Dom

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 09:25:06 am »
I upped the temp first to 20c, and then to 21c, and took another gravity reading last night.  Gravity has moved slightly (1.020), but is still some distance off my expecteded FG (1.014).  The sample was still incredibly cloudy with what I assume is suspended yeast.  Wort was mashed at 66c, although I did forget my acid additions (so Bru'n Water estimates the mash pH at 5.6).

Am I likely to see any further movement in gravity (last 2 measurement have been 1.020) or should I proceed with cold crashing, and dry hopping?  I don't mind leaving it to ferment out if it's likely to reach it's expected gravity.

What was the recipe?  Have you made it before?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 09:59:28 am »
Grist was:

Belgian Pale ale with a bit of MO 75%
Munich 22%
Carapils 2%
Carafa 3 1%

SG 1.055

I've not made this recipe before.  I added a little CaCL and gypsum, and was meant to add some lactic to get the pH down to 5.3.  I forgot the acid, so I think the mash pH was 5.6.

It was a 19L batch, where I pitched a 1L starter prepared using the SNS method.  Yeast was from a new packet (April 2016), starter looked healthy, and fermentation took off quickly.
Dom

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 10:00:51 am »
Some Munich malts can be less fermentable. While I agree that your gravity is kinda high, I also wonder how you got your expectation of what FG would be.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 10:08:22 am »
Some Munich malts can be less fermentable. While I agree that your gravity is kinda high, I also wonder how you got your expectation of what FG would be.
Can you expound on this a bit (i.e. are there specific maltsters or Lovibond ranges where you find this to be true)? I've had intermittent challenges with both fermentability and acidity using Avangard Munich (10L/20 EBC). In recipes that call for a lot of Munich malt I started cutting it with Vienna to compensate, but would like to better understand what I was experiencing.

I also considered just buying a sack of a lower Lovibond Munich to blend with it, as I like the "dark Munich" flavors but most of the recipes I'm brewing (or have adapted from) probably didn't have the "dark Munich" in mind (it just happens to be what my LHBS stocks).