Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bittering with chinook question  (Read 11019 times)

Offline mbbransc

• Cellarman
Re: Bittering with chinook question
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 05:21:31 am »
Everyone's palate is different, but I find bittering with Chinook to be overly abrasive and harsh. Every IPA I've bittered with Chinook, I struggled to finish the keg. I use Warrior for clean and Columbus for that li'l something extra for all my IPAs now. Save the chinook for dry hopping. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 07:24:59 am »
It's all personal preference. I bitter IPAs with Chinook or Columbus (Warrior on the occasion) and like them all. I have an Arrogant Bastard-type beer (bittered with Chinook) on tap now that's anything but abrasive. Each his own.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:17:01 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 07:53:42 am »
Columbus is definitely a nice medium bite.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 11:44:26 am »
Columbus is definitely a nice medium bite.

Love this hop for IPA bitter additions.

narvin

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 05:12:19 pm »
I remember some of the old Chinook IPAs being rough back when it was ubiquitous.  However, I've never had that problem when using it for bittering, and I like it better than Columbus (and want to save Simcoe and others for later).

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 01:44:52 pm »
For years I disliked Chinook as a hop because of its harsh bitterness. When I think back to my years of not liking IPA's, I associate them with hazy beers with a Chinook-heavy bitter bite, too much C-40 or C-60, and a little cascade/centennial floral note and a the sensation of sucking on grapefruit pith. These guys were probably 1.070 OG to 1.020 FG and I remember thinking "why do this to perfectly good pale ale ingredients?" That combination of big malt and sharp bitterness was the hallmark of an era of hoppy beers like Arrogant Bastard. Now you see it less and Chinook is used mostly as an aroma hop - I learned to love what it can do dry and really only use it dry and in whirlpool.

Personally, I don't care for harsh cohumulone bitterness nor mineral bitterness in my beers. In most styles, my preference is for smooth bitterness like Magnum, Summit, Apollo, Simcoe (too expensive, though), or any other low co-humulone high-alpha hop. Depending on the style, I might bitter with a low-alpha or medium-alpha hop (like Glacier or Perle) or an extract like HopShot. In an AIPA specifically, I tend to like CTZ best, but might use Apollo or Summit depending on what's available or the hop profile I'm shooting for.