Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: US-05  (Read 2199 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
US-05
« on: May 19, 2016, 02:25:36 pm »
I really don't use dry yeast all that much.  This year I did.  I made four batches with US-05 and every single one was over carbonated.  When I noticed this on the first batch I reduced my priming sugar from 3 oz. of cane sugar to 2 oz. and still over carbonated.  No sign of infection on the neck of the bottle or off taste.  Is this typical with this strain.  I cracked the caps on all the bottles and now they seem fine.

This sound familiar to anyone?

BV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: US-05
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 02:33:46 pm »
Nope, I don't think that's anything you can attribute to that yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 02:42:08 pm »
I really don't use dry yeast all that much.  This year I did.  I made four batches with US-05 and every single one was over carbonated.  When I noticed this on the first batch I reduced my priming sugar from 3 oz. of cane sugar to 2 oz. and still over carbonated.  No sign of infection on the neck of the bottle or off taste.  Is this typical with this strain.  I cracked the caps on all the bottles and now they seem fine.

BV

First thought: are you certain you are at terminal gravity when you bottle, i.e., same FG 2-3 days apart?

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 03:02:42 pm »

BV

First thought: are you certain you are at terminal gravity when you bottle, i.e., same FG 2-3 days apart?

Of course that was my first thought.
OG: 1.044  FG:1.008   14 day primary  29 day condition
OG: 1.063  FG:1.012   9 day primary   22 day condition
OG: 1.058  FG:1.010   12 day primary  31 day condition
OG: 1.058  FG:1.012   9 day primary  35 day condition

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 03:57:17 pm »
It looks like the longer you primary, the lower your FG. I wouldn't expect US-05 to go super dry. I'm wondering if there isn't infection at play here pre-bottling?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 04:10:32 pm »
FWIW, I use a long primary for most beers and 1.009-1.012 FG is pretty standard for me using 1056/S-05, depending on what I'm brewing.

Edit - 1056/S-05 are pretty dry strains IMO. I like well attenuated beers normally, and have to intervene with grist to finish much above the listed. Obviously stouts and others with higher amounts of unfermentables are a different story.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:36:43 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 05:20:19 am »
It looks like the longer you primary, the lower your FG. I wouldn't expect US-05 to go super dry. I'm wondering if there isn't infection at play here pre-bottling?

If there were an infection wouldn't I see some evidence on the collar of the bottles?  Also, the carbonation would continue even after I cracked the caps to release some of the pressure. It doesn't.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 07:44:28 am »
Only four possible answers. Not finished fermenting, infected, busted scale, priming sugar not well distributed.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 09:23:14 am »

If there were an infection wouldn't I see some evidence on the collar of the bottles?  Also, the carbonation would continue even after I cracked the caps to release some of the pressure. It doesn't.

Not necessarily on either of those.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 09:29:43 am »
My experiences with 05 are that it finishes a lot dryer than I expect. I have gotten anywhere from 79% to 82% ADF with it, even on high gravity beers. My last batch with it was a 1.098 double brown that 2 re-hydrated packs took from that 1.098 down to 1.020, 78% ADF, and IPAs with it have run up into 82%. This does not say yours were not finished, just that it seems to outperform software and manufacturer expectations every time I use it. I have not experienced over carbing that I could attribute to the yeast itself, just improper weights and volume measurements on my part
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)