Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Skipping the banquet at HomebewCon  (Read 6874 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Skipping the banquet at HomebewCon
« on: May 15, 2016, 08:33:04 pm »
I am skipping the banquet this year.  I was wondering if anyone else was planning to do something other than attend the banquet on Saturday? 

Offline guido

• Brewer
Re: Skipping the banquet at HomebewCon
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:04:11 am »
I've had some bad experiences at the banquet. Some friends and I are going for a nice dinner at a brewpub instead.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

narvin

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:15:37 am »
http://www.homebrewcon.org/week-event/sour-ale-fest/

I'm not sure if I'm going yet... based on past years experience I may need to just lay low by Saturday night.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:48:07 pm »
I with you on that one, guido!

I have been thinking about remaining sober on Saturday and driving home after the conference closes.  However, seeing that my hotel room is booked through Saturday night, I may just hang around and do something with other conference attendees who are skipping the banquet. 

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:21:19 pm »
None of my NHC entries advanced, so we got a refund on our banquet tickets, and I also plan to cancel our Saturday night hotel room.  The Spousal Unit wants to just head home after the Saturday seminars are over, but I am lobbying to spend some of our savings on a great dinner at Woodberry Kitchen with another couple, then heading home.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 03:36:43 am »
I with you on that one, guido!

I have been thinking about remaining sober on Saturday and driving home after the conference closes.  However, seeing that my hotel room is booked through Saturday night, I may just hang around and do something with other conference attendees who are skipping the banquet.

You paid for the room, might as well use it. Even the AHA recommends that those who aren't directly involved with either an entry in the competition or their club skip the banquet. It's not worth the money; the food is so-so (although it is a tough assignment for a chef to prepare that many meals in a strange setting); you have to wait in line forever to get a seat that's so far away from the podium that you need binoculars; and there's always one absolute a-hole at your table. I won't even go into the whole club of the year completion kerfuffle.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 06:22:04 am »
and there's always one absolute a-hole at your table.
But I wasn't sitting at your table :)

I didn't make the conference last year, but the past couple I thought the food at the banquet was pretty good.  Seattle was excellent (Salmon) and I don't like a lot of fish.  I haven't heard what's on the menu for this year but I'll be at the banquet.  I also have 4 entries in the finals and I'm friends with one of the co-chairs so I wouldn't miss it.

As for waiting in line, we had a blast in Grand Rapids.  People were passing beer around in the line and the time flew by.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 07:50:04 am »
and there's always one absolute a-hole at your table.

Well, yeah, but at least I bring beer to share.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 10:27:34 am »
I had a good experience last year at the banquet.  It was my first and only, but it was still positive.  The food was good, there were interesting beer-pairings, and no a-hole was anywhere to be seen.  In fact there were some very interesting people around my wife and me.  BUT, I left after dinner.  I did not stay for all the award stuff.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 11:52:30 am »
I had a good experience last year at the banquet.  It was my first and only, but it was still positive.  The food was good, there were interesting beer-pairings, and no a-hole was anywhere to be seen.  In fact there were some very interesting people around my wife and me.  BUT, I left after dinner.  I did not stay for all the award stuff.

Glad the banquet experience has worked for others. Everyone at all the conferences I've attended has been exceptionally friendly, except for the one guy my group gets stuck with at a banquet table.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 12:41:17 pm »
This will be my 10th conference and I have yet to have a bad dinner experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
This will make 17 for me and the only disappointing food was in Philly.  Even then, the dessert was delicious.

It's funny how people always want to sit with people from their home area.  Here you are, some of you from the other side of the country, seeing people you only see once a year and yet you sit with people from your neighborhood?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 02:07:35 pm »
It's funny how people always want to sit with people from their home area.  Here you are, some of you from the other side of the country, seeing people you only see once a year and yet you sit with people from your neighborhood?

Nobody from my area usually goes.  I just sit with the Zealots.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 03:09:21 pm »
This will be my 10th conference and I have yet to have a bad dinner experience.

Well...of course, Denny, everyone is on his best behavior around you.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 10:41:45 pm »
You paid for the room, might as well use it.

Actually, I have not paid for the room.  I merely booked it. One can checkout of most hotels early without a penalty, which is what I will more than likely do.

Even the AHA recommends that those who aren't directly involved with either an entry in the competition or their club skip the banquet. It's not worth the money; the food is so-so (although it is a tough assignment for a chef to prepare that many meals in a strange setting); you have to wait in line forever to get a seat that's so far away from the podium that you need binoculars; and there's always one absolute a-hole at your table. I won't even go into the whole club of the year completion kerfuffle.

I concur!  The banquet is not worth the money unless one is involved the competition.  I literally almost vomited when I saw what was being served in Michigan (I was not alone).  I consider hocks to be on the same level as pig's feet and chitterlings (i.e., scrap meat).  I ordered a vegetarian meal in California in order to avoid a repeat of Michigan.  I did not stick around for the awards ceremony.