Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Skipping the banquet at HomebewCon  (Read 6876 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Skipping the banquet at HomebewCon
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 05:45:14 am »
The Schweinhaxe was decent, something I have had before in Germany and enjoyed. The main dish in Philly on the other hand was tough and dry, and was a chore to eat, and I did not finish it. We all have our taste preferences, and favorite dishes.

Last night I had one of the best dishes of my life, a Ragu of beef cheeks and Ox tail over a bed of celery root and cabbage. Those muscles that get the most use have the most flavor.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 05:46:26 am »
kinda lame that this year you can't walk in after the banquet to hear the awards.
maybe they'll relax that when they see how many people leave after the food?

as for sitting with people you know, I only do that when I've got a group to be cheering for at the awards.  Otherwise I can sit anywhere just to eat.

Dat salad in Grand Rapids, doe...I may or may not have grabbed a second one.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:04:04 am by udubdawg »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 02:17:00 pm »
This will be my 10th conference and I have yet to have a bad dinner experience.

You're either getting senile, delusional, or in denial. ;)

That dinner in MI or perhaps Philly was awful. It was a horrifically substandard stromboli. We've had some good meals, but that one would cost too much if it were free. IIRC the dessert was the only thing worth mentioning.

There was another year one of my companions had to wait on the vegetarian option until every standard meal was served. I'd classify that as a bad dinner experience too. She waited and waited and most of us waited with her out of courtesy.

Another year the vegetarian was a much better option than the standard and I don't recall it being the year of the stromboli.

Anyway, add all that up and I am also skipping the banquet as are most of the others from our club. Too many years with meh to blah meals and memorable experiences in the wrong direction.

I was a little hard on Denny at the beginning, it could just be his palate is shot.  :o
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 02:26:35 pm »
This will be my 10th conference and I have yet to have a bad dinner experience.

You're either getting senile, delusional, or in denial. ;)

That dinner in MI or perhaps Philly was awful. It was a horrifically substandard stromboli. We've had some good meals, but that one would cost too much if it were free. IIRC the dessert was the only thing worth mentioning.

There was another year one of my companions had to wait on the vegetarian option until every standard meal was served. I'd classify that as a bad dinner experience too. She waited and waited and most of us waited with her out of courtesy.

Another year the vegetarian was a much better option than the standard and I don't recall it being the year of the stromboli.

Anyway, add all that up and I am also skipping the banquet as are most of the others from our club. Too many years with meh to blah meals and memorable experiences in the wrong direction.

I was a little hard on Denny at the beginning, it could just be his palate is shot.  :o

I wasn't able to make Philly, but I did hear that there were issues that year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 02:40:31 pm »
There was an issue in Grand Rapids when people saw what was served, they started to take the vegetarian dish even though they didn't order it.  Someone at our table had to wait until they ran back to the hotel kitchen and brought her food.

I know you sign up for the banquet months in advance, but it would sure be nice to know what their serving before you have to commit.

In the 4 years I've been, Philly was the only one I felt was substandard.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 04:33:20 pm »
Philly was just ok to me, but then that was the year I made lunch my main meal and ate like a (piggish) king at the Market every day. Love that place.

Fine, some didn't like Grand Rapids' banquet. I loved it, and the whole conference. Hope we go back.

Basically I float in on a few pints of bjcp meeting beers, eat something, and wait for familiar names to be called. I'm probably among the biggest foodies in the conference but until I retire from competition I guess I just don't care if it's at least decent. To each their own.
Cheers
Michael

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 05:04:02 pm »
Philly was just ok to me, but then that was the year I made lunch my main meal and ate like a (piggish) king at the Market every day. Love that place.

+1 to Philly dinner subpar. I too spent most of my time besides drinking at the conference over at the Market. That place was off the hook. So many good choices of foods to choose from. I want to go back.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 07:23:48 pm »
This is reminding me of Office Space. "I said NO SALT and there were great grains of salt on the glass"

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 09:13:20 am »
This is reminding me of Office Space. "I said NO SALT and there were great grains of salt on the glass"

are we gonna see you next June in Minnesota? 
...It's time Jim.   8)

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 11:25:54 am »
...It's time Jim.   8)

Did we just give away next year's location?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 11:48:36 am »
...It's time Jim.   8)

"It's not a secret" - someone from AHA, like 6 weeks ago.  I'm sure there's a possibility that sales could be hurt slightly if news of future locations came out too early, so I haven't said anything publicly until their discounted hotel period was over.  *shrug*

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:19 pm »
Its a strong possibility!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 03:14:42 pm »

Fine, some didn't like Grand Rapids' banquet. I loved it, and the whole conference. Hope we go back.

Basically I float in on a few pints of bjcp meeting beers, eat something, and wait for familiar names to be called. I'm probably among the biggest foodies in the conference but until I retire from competition I guess I just don't care if it's at least decent. To each their own.
Cheers
Michael
I'm with you Michael.I'm a huge foodie but when I go to a wedding, event etc. with a meal served for a big crowd I simply lower my expectations and enjoy socializing. Or drinking. Then if the foods good it's a bonus.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 08:43:09 am »
...It's time Jim.   8)

"It's not a secret" - someone from AHA, like 6 weeks ago.  I'm sure there's a possibility that sales could be hurt slightly if news of future locations came out too early, so I haven't said anything publicly until their discounted hotel period was over.  *shrug*

Sounds like we are getting into a rotation. Kinda doubt I'll go to MN if that is the location next year since I've already been there with the conference. Same reason I skipped San Diego last year. I see the conference as a means to visit areas pre-conference and to go to the conference. Finding space for the conference is becoming more and more difficult it seems.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 06:31:21 am »
The Mead in Minn will always bring me back. I will be there, doing my part to improve the currently mediocre to poor avg beer quality at Club Night.

...yeah, I said it. Enough with the keg dumping. Let's see your best efforts.

(Hey we were already on a tangent...why not another!)    8)