Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop storage lifespan ?  (Read 5368 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Hop storage lifespan ?
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »
 For those of you who vacuum seal your hops and keep them in the freezer like I do, what's the longest that you will still use your hops after being stored?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Hop storage lifespan ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:02:17 pm »
Are you using them for alpha/bittering, or for flavor & aroma?  If it is for flavor and aroma I have no idea.  I just asked that question today on this forum.  If is for bittering, it is really variety dependent.  But here is a good reference page: http://www.morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.1/garetz.html
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:58:06 am »
With aged hops, there are typically hop degradation calculators on brewing software that one can utilize to adjust the alpha acids based on age. As for flavor/aroma, if vaccuum sealed and kept cold in the freezer, I think they can easily stay fresh for years (4-5).

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:05:02 am »
During the 2008 hop shortage I way over bought pellet hops in a panic thinking I would not have enough.
They were all noble hops or their offspring with similar characteristics.
I have stored these in a freezer at zero degrees since they arrived.
I continue to use these for bittering additions with only slightly decreased bittering noted.
Have not noted any off flavor issues.

---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:00:46 pm »
Add me to the list saying they last a long time.  In addition, any time I used a degradation calculator I ended up overbittered...  I bet 10 years might even be fine if stored well. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 02:42:45 pm »
I agree! When sealed in metallized mylar bags and kept at freezing temps, hops do seem to last a long time. I have hops kept this way that are 4 or 5 years old and they seem to still to produce desirable bittering, flavor, and aroma character in my beers.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 06:49:47 am »
Martin, are you using metallized vacuum seal or zip-lock?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 06:57:37 am »
My hops aren't in metallized bags - I use Food Saver bags that go with my vacuum sealer. Long term storage works really well in them.
Jon H.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 07:05:26 am »
I don't have a vacuum resealer, but I do have a heat resealer. I buy my mainstay hops in 1 lb packs that typically come as vacuum sealed metallized mylar bags. I clip off enough of the bag to get some hops out and reseal with the heat bar. Not perfect, but seems to be adequate.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 07:11:01 am »
I've had hops from 2014 in Food Saver with success, metallized vacuum seal would be even better.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 04:11:51 pm »
I had some amarillo in the freezer that was still good after nearly six years.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 04:36:28 pm »
I used to use my FoodSaver religiously when I was a whole hops plus false bottom brewer, but I started to use Talenti ice cream containers after switching to using pellets.  A Telenti pint-size ice cream container holds about 8ozs of pellets.  These containers are clearly made from one of the new O2 barrier PET resins. 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 04:44:48 pm »
I used to use my FoodSaver religiously when I was a whole hops plus false bottom brewer, but I started to use Talenti ice cream containers after switching to using pellets.  A Telenti pint-size ice cream container holds about 8ozs of pellets.  These containers are clearly made from one of the new O2 barrier PET resins.
I will sometimes use pint mason jars with the foodsaver jar attachment. My issue with jars is they take up the same amount of space when a quarter full as they do completely full.

I do keep a quart jar to collect my remnant hops. I brew an IPA when it is full.

I do have a bunch of the Telenti pints that I use to store hardware and other small bits. They are great jars as they don't have a shoulder, they are very ridged, and they are clear.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 04:44:56 pm »

I am assuming those can't be flushed or purged of O2 though?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 07:35:53 pm »

I am assuming those can't be flushed or purged of O2 though?
Bah, you're only storing hops, not mashing a helles  ;)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer