Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: water for 1800s IPA attempt  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
water for 1800s IPA attempt
« on: May 14, 2016, 10:24:46 am »
I'm planning to try and recreate a British IPA from 200 years ago and have a question about my water.
PPM               Hi      Low
calcium          40      13
chloride          26      2.2
potassium       4.4     2.3
calcium           40      13
sulfate            12       1
magnesium     12      6.2
pH                  7.9     6.8
alkalinity         120    66
total hardness  150    60

I have gypsum and calcium chloride. How much of each, if any, should I add? Anything else?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: water for 1800s IPA attempt
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 04:55:58 pm »
Now you are mixing metaphors. The original IPA's were brewed in London. I think it was Hodgson's Brewery or something like that. They likely obtained their water from the New Canal (I'm going from memory) and that was a surface water source that skirted the north of London. It was not likely to have been that mineralized.

IPA brewing subsequently shifted to Burton where the mineralized groundwater was ideal for hoppy and bittered beers. Depending upon the source and conditions, the groundwater could range from highly mineralized to modestly mineralized. You can see the results of recent groundwater testing by reviewing the Burton profile in Bru'n Water. However, it is unlikely that the local brewers used water that was that highly mineralized. Depending upon where the breweries were extracting the groundwater from, the water was either naturally diluted with water from River Trent or the breweries manually added river water to the groundwater to reduce the mineralization. It is therefore more likely that the water quality used for Burton brewing is similar to the Pale Ale profile given in Bru'n Water. I recommend that you start with that profile to help duplicate the second "original" IPA you are attempting. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 10:32:15 am »
IPA brewing subsequently shifted to Burton where the mineralized groundwater was ideal for hoppy and bittered beers. Depending upon the source and conditions, the groundwater could range from highly mineralized to modestly mineralized. You can see the results of recent groundwater testing by reviewing the Burton profile in Bru'n Water. However, it is unlikely that the local brewers used water that was that highly mineralized. Depending upon where the breweries were extracting the groundwater from, the water was either naturally diluted with water from River Trent or the breweries manually added river water to the groundwater to reduce the mineralization. It is therefore more likely that the water quality used for Burton brewing is similar to the Pale Ale profile given in Bru'n Water. I recommend that you start with that profile to help duplicate the second "original" IPA you are attempting.

I'm definitely going for the Burton version.
Is there a way to access the pale ale profile without downloading the whole shebang? My wife is the computer person and I get very nervous doing anything more complex than e-mails or forum posts.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 07:42:57 am »
Steve, your water looks like surface water. You get the low numbers during monsoon and the high numbers during drought.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:10:02 pm »
Steve, your water looks like surface water. You get the low numbers during monsoon and the high numbers during drought.

I think it is.
I'm planning on brewing in a week or so and the forecast calls for rain every day for the next five or six days so the lower numbers would probably be closer to what I'll be brewing with.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:33:41 pm »
I would caution you to err on the conservative side when deciding your target values. There are water profiles out there that can certainly ruin an otherwise excellent beer. Everyone's palate is different, but once you head north of the 200-250ppm of sulfate range (especially when paired with a healthy dose of chloride) you start to reach a point where it is as much mineral water as beer. Even higher amounts of sulfates can give farty/eggy aromas.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 09:49:45 am »
IIRC Terry Foster's historical IPA was like 450ppm sulfate.  I've gone that high and no issues/egg.  House IPA is 300ppm-ish.  I like the affect.  I think Martin termed it "crunky" or something, but I like the minerally feel.  I definitely think it adds to an english character that I would want in a historical beer but definitely not a Vermont thing.  Although I did not brew the historical IPA I did do Foster's traditional IPA (all EKG) and it blew my mind.  First AG brew in the 90's and was hooked ever since. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 05:03:47 pm »
I think I remember hearing Mitch Steele say at one of his NHC talks (Seattle? Oakland? San Diego-1? This was several years ago) that the English brewers would preboil their water to precipitate out temporary hardness.

If so, I'll defer to Martin on whether/what that would do exactly in a side by side comparison.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 03:54:59 pm »
I would caution you to err on the conservative side when deciding your target values.

I plan on it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women