Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Insulating a mash tun  (Read 1942 times)

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
Insulating a mash tun
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:59:13 am »
I have a gas fired RIMS setup, and lately I've been thinking about insulating my mash tun in order to save on fuel.
I know others out there do this, but I'm unclear as to what materials work best.
Anybody have any recommendations?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Insulating a mash tun
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:03:28 am »
I made a slip on coozie out of an old foam yoga mat. Its rare that my temp drops enough that I need to hit the fire, but if I do I just remove the insulator and flame on. Mine isn't rims, its direct fire.

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 09:09:22 am »
I made a slip on coozie out of an old foam yoga mat. Its rare that my temp drops enough that I need to hit the fire, but if I do I just remove the insulator and flame on. Mine isn't rims, its direct fire.

I suppose I used the RIMS acronym incorrectly... My mash tun is also direct fired.  I just use a pump to recirculate during the mash, but it does have a PID controller that kicks the flame on automagically when the temp drops.

So ideally I'd like a material that I can leave on the whole time (and won't burst into flames...).

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:39:40 am »
A buddy made a jacket for his tun using a sheet of stainless and some "fireproof" insulation. I used quotes because some of the insulation around the valve did end up burning. I guess fireproof means ignition-proof in this case.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:53:25 am »
Sorry, no direct fire here. Just a schwag 10 g cooler that I wrap in a huge beach towel. Rarely lose 1degF over 60 minutes.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »
That being the case I think I would just buy gas. I think a miracle material would set you back more than a few gallons of propane

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 06:57:39 pm »
Sorry, no direct fire here. Just a schwag 10 g cooler that I wrap in a huge beach towel. Rarely lose 1degF over 60 minutes.

Same here. I wrap mine in a sleeping bag. Temp loss is ~ a dF, too.
Jon H.