Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Hop Chronicles | Experimental #09326  (Read 1897 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
The Hop Chronicles | Experimental #09326
« on: May 19, 2016, 05:59:23 am »
It's been a long time coming, but we're back with another edition of The Hop Chronicles! This time, we evaluate an experimental hop sent to us by the rad folks at HOPSTEINER. Check it out!

http://brulosophy.com/2016/05/19/the-hop-chronicles-experimental-09326/

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: The Hop Chronicles | Experimental #09326
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:32:38 am »
Have you ever considered switching your evaluation base to something like Ted Hausotter uses in his hop presentations (see page 30 from one of his past presentations)?

http://www.bjcp.org/cep/HausotterHops.pdf

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 09:37:25 am »
Have you ever considered switching your evaluation base to something like Ted Hausotter uses in his hop presentations (see page 30 from one of his past presentations)?

I enjoyed the .pdf presentation, but I didn't see anything there that would replace the value of the spider graph and other info as presented in Marshall's work.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 09:46:41 am »

I enjoyed the .pdf presentation, but I didn't see anything there that would replace the value of the spider graph and other info as presented in Marshall's work.

He's just asking if they have considered changing the recipe to one without boil hops. He's not suggesting eliminating the spider graph.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 10:44:17 am »
He's just asking if they have considered changing the recipe to one without boil hops. He's not suggesting eliminating the spider graph.

Yep.  Exactly this.  If the focus is the flavor and aroma of a hop variety, you will get enough of a bitterness charge from the whirlpool.  I've done several of Ted's presentations, and the beers are great for hop evaluation purposes.  Most of them are even good drinkers (some hop varieties don't do it for me).

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 11:08:01 am »
I have moved away from evaluating flavor and aroma hops with a single hop method. I'd prefer to use a clean bittering hop like magnum and then doa. Single hop at flavor and aroma additions.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 11:55:33 am »
I have moved away from evaluating flavor and aroma hops with a single hop method. I'd prefer to use a clean bittering hop like magnum and then doa. Single hop at flavor and aroma additions.

Same here. There are enough bittering hops that I like that I don't need new ones. Can't beat Chinook or Columbus for bittering American ales, or Magnum and Warrior for a smoother, clean bitterness. Though I'm getting back to using nobles (or mixing them with Magnum) to bitter lagers. Regardless, I bitter with Magnum or Warrior to eval new flavor/aroma hops, to stay out of the way of the hop I'm evaluating.

Edit for coherence. Much better.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:07:47 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 04:01:42 pm »
This is one of the lowest alpha acid %'s on a newer hop that I have seen.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 08:37:36 pm »
Personally, I think that a hop's bittering character is still important to know even if you're evaluating it as a flavor and aroma hop. If you're brewing a beer with heavy late additions the bittering contribution will have some impact on the beer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer