Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chugger pump cleaning update/advice  (Read 3076 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Chugger pump cleaning update/advice
« on: May 20, 2016, 12:18:33 pm »
I just finished my 15th batch using my chugger pump.   Prior to buying it I did a lot of online trolling research on how to clean the thing and a decent amount of people just said run PBW through it followed by clean water.   Just wanted to say that I have taken mine apart every batch to clean it (because I'm super anal) after running PBW and water through it, and not once has it been perfectly clean. I have always found hops etc. in nooks and crannies.  Just my two cents.   
--I love the pump by the way, it is saved my back. I use it to transfer all of my fluids throughout the whole brew day.   Really good addition.
T
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Chugger pump cleaning update/advice
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:35:54 pm »
I will probably not take apart my chugger often (just bought one), but I do plan to run boiling wort through it for a few minutes before doing transfers.  Heat can sanitize dirt. 

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 12:54:51 pm »
 Agreed on the boiling wort, I have a whirlpool arm on my chiller so I run the wort through the pump the last 10 minutes of the boil anyway while sterilizing my chiller..   Then I use the whirlpool arm for Whirlpool hopping and then to help with chilling as well.   I still can't stand to know that there are old particles stuck in there even though I'm running boiling wort through it.  ...OCD
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:35:29 pm »
My pump is used only for hot-side wort transfers, so sanitation is of no concern. I've only taken my pump apart every few years and there has never been anything in it.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks