Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY1450 - a couple of questions  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Re: WY1450 - a couple of questions
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 10:09:56 am »
It was based on sticking 74% attenuation into my recipe calculator.  I don't mind it stopping at 1.020, the sample I took last night tastes good, but having had bottle bombs in the past, I'm a bit nervous when it appears to stall on a beer that wasn't designed to have a highish FG. 
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 10:18:09 am »
Can you expound on this a bit (i.e. are there specific maltsters or Lovibond ranges where you find this to be true)? I've had intermittent challenges with both fermentability and acidity using Avangard Munich (10L/20 EBC). In recipes that call for a lot of Munich malt I started cutting it with Vienna to compensate, but would like to better understand what I was experiencing.

I also considered just buying a sack of a lower Lovibond Munich to blend with it, as I like the "dark Munich" flavors but most of the recipes I'm brewing (or have adapted from) probably didn't have the "dark Munich" in mind (it just happens to be what my LHBS stocks).

I haven't had any trouble with domestic Munich, but it seems like most continental Munich can have lower diastatic power.  Some on other forums have reported conversion problems with continental Munich.  I use Best for continental Munich and have found that it can take a little longer to convert.  But given a 90 min. mash, I usually have no problems.  Also, another thing I was getting at is that unless you've brewed this recipe before, your FG would be more of a guess than an expectation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 10:21:32 am »
Sounds like it's probably done then.  I'll get the dry hops chucked in, and then cold crash it next weekend.  Cheers.
Dom

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 07:11:55 am »
I added my dry hops earlier today, and took a hydrometer reading, and noticed something strange.  When I initially placed the hydrometer in the sample jar, it read below 1.020 (about 1.012), but after I'd spun it a couple of times it showed around the 1.020 mark.  So I decided to take a reading using a refractometer, which showed a reading of 6.2 Brix. Given my SG of 1.055, I calculate that gives me a current gravity of 1.011.  This is the first time I've noticed a discrepancy between my refractometer and hydrometer (they usually correlate very closely).  I checked both devices with water, and both show 1.000 as expected.  Given that the beer is very cloudy with suspended yeast, could this be interfering with the behaviour of the hydrometer?  Possibly sticking to the hydrometer and providing buoyancy?
Dom

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 09:40:26 am »
Very doubtful.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 12:21:02 pm »
Very doubtful.

CO2 nucleation on the suspended yeast maybe?  The samples I have taken, have had a fair bit of foam on the top that I've had to blow off the top to take the reading.  Anyway, it'll be bottled next weekend, and drunk a couple of weeks after that.
Dom