Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Commercial Saisons  (Read 10385 times)

Derek

Re: Commercial Saisons
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 08:07:25 am »
I really like Tank 7 but am also a fan of Allagash Saison.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 12:27:36 pm »
I love Saisons... that's my favorite style.  I'm scrolling through my untappd to see if I can find any of the ones I like that you might be able to get.  A lot of them may only be available in Oregon.

I liked the Three Eyed Raven (Game of Thrones) beer from Ommegang, although that's a "Red Saison" so a little darker than is typical.  Upright is hit or miss for me, I liked the Saison Orsted but both Four and Seven weren't to my liking.  Urban Farmhouse from The Commons is good but that may be Oregon only. 

Second and Third all the suggestions of Saison DuPont if you can get it fresh.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 01:21:19 pm »
I love Saisons... that's my favorite style.  I'm scrolling through my untappd to see if I can find any of the ones I like that you might be able to get.  A lot of them may only be available in Oregon.

I liked the Three Eyed Raven (Game of Thrones) beer from Ommegang, although that's a "Red Saison" so a little darker than is typical.  Upright is hit or miss for me, I liked the Saison Orsted but both Four and Seven weren't to my liking.  Urban Farmhouse from The Commons is good but that may be Oregon only. 

Second and Third all the suggestions of Saison DuPont if you can get it fresh.

I wasn't a big fan of Upright but I really enjoy The Commons' beers. I think Upright distributes a little out of OR but if The Commons gets out of OR then it's likely only to WA.

Not sure that freshness is the issue with Dupont Saison Vieille so much as avoiding the skunk in the green bottles. Dupont already has Vieille in brown 375ml bottles and is transitioning to brown 750ml bottles for the US market. Not sure if or when the other Dupont beers will make the change.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 07:55:35 pm »
St. Feuillien Saison has become my favorite commercial version, better and more reliable than DuPont.  All St. Feuillien beers are stellar.

My own recipe is my favorite homebrewed version.  Stupid simple recipe, just Belgian pils malt, Kent Goldings (boil and finish), and shoot for upper 50's O.G.  Sometimes I add some Candy syrup.  Try using a continuous-rising mash from 113-162 degrees over 90 minutes as described in Farmhouse Ales.  I use either WLP565 or Belle Saison yeast, start it off in the mid-70's and crank it up to mid/upper 80's over 7 days.

Always turns out.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 03:20:10 am »
My three favourite saisons, in no particular order:

Dupont - as others have said, the standard by which other saisons are judged.  Delicious refreshing goodness.
Tank 7 - have only had this a couple of times, but damn it made an impression. Again, refreshing, and bursting with flavour.
Saison Cazeau - made with elderflowers, smells amazing, tastes spicy and sharp. 
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017