Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barrel Fermented Farmhouse Saison?  (Read 3894 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Barrel Fermented Farmhouse Saison?
« on: May 20, 2016, 03:31:07 pm »
I'm in an experimenting mood.  I recently read that most (all?) real Saisons back in the day in Belgium were fermented in barrels.  I have a barrel!  It is a Rye Whiskey barrel that was used once for a Stout and then put to sleep.

So I'm thinking about formulating a recipe that would be low alcohol like the originals.  I'm thinking around 4.5-5%.  But I would like a lot of flavor.  And maybe add a fruit puree (I think they did that back then).

I understand that Pilsner malt is the standard, but I have a new 55# bag of Golden Promise (Fawcett).  Would that be a poor choice?

Also I'm thinking of using Wyeast 3711, and just letting it ferment in the barrel on the floor of my garage.  These days the temperature will stay in the 70's (f) and reach into the 80's.  Should I wait for warmer temps?  Non-temperature controlled fermentation is part of what I want to play with.

Thoughts?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: Barrel Fermented Farmhouse Saison?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 05:47:06 pm »
Sounds interesting. I heard that also. So, when I brew my saison, I also use the white labs 644 sac yeast, along with the wlp585 yeast, to give it that barrel twang. I also use pilsner malt as my base malt. So Golden promise is a nice substitute. (BTW, my saison is on its way to NHC finals.)
I believe you have a potentially awesome, winning beer.
Please keep us up to date. Thanks.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 11:10:30 pm »
(BTW, my saison is on its way to NHC finals.)

Glad to hear it!  Let us know how it goes.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 04:32:36 am »

will do.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 06:24:43 am »
Steve, I have never done this but I'm happy to provide you some baseless speculation and a WAG or two😁
First I wonder about the pressure from fermentation. I assume you will need to leave  quite a bit of headspace in the barrel and an airlock or blow off tube. This in and of itself isn't the problem. The problem I wonder about is that will leave a lot of headspace when the Krausen drops and the barrel is permeable. I have cask conditioned in my little 1.5 gallon barrel and the carbonation lasted one day. So I'm wondering about losing your protective layer of co2 as fermentation winds down. This would especially be a problem if you intend to leave it there post fermentation. I suppose you could ferment extra in a different vessel and top off or add co2 every couple days.
The other thing is sanitation. Putting wort in a barrel is another story compared to finished beer. Is it full of sanitizer now? I might empty and add high proof whiskey and keep turning for a few days so every surface gets treated.
Also after your done all that saison yeast you put in there will have been forced into the wood during active fermentation. Not sure if it will ever leave.
I think it's a cool idea and all these problems are probably surmountable but those are my thoughts.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 03:00:07 pm »
Thanks Pete - good thoughts.  Maybe the barrel fermentation idea is more romantic than practical.  Perhaps just aging it a bit in the barrel...  But I have an 8 gallon barrel, and a 6.5 gallon fermenter.  It appears I am on the horns of a dilemma.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

narvin

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 04:06:51 pm »
They definitely used old barrels.  Like the lambic breweries, they've been reused so many times you get no oak from them.  But if you like the flavor of whisley, that's all that matters.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 05:09:25 pm »
I'm not sure I would want the whiskey flavor in my Saison.

As far as the 8 gallon barrel, just brew enough to fill two fermenters. Then you can keg off a couple of gallons and let the rest age in the barrel.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 06:17:55 pm »

As far as the 8 gallon barrel, just brew enough to fill two fermenters. Then you can keg off a couple of gallons and let the rest age in the barrel.

I don't think there is much whiskey flavor left in the wood.  After the RIS I aged in it, I've been keeping water in it plus the recommended amount of potassium metabisulfite.

I'm wondering how it would work if I just filled it with wort & yeast and just used a blow-off tube so that head space would be next to nothing.  I've got a week or so to work the details out.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 08:33:16 pm »

I don't think there is much whiskey flavor left in the wood.  After the RIS I aged in it, I've been keeping water in it plus the recommended amount of potassium metabisulfite.

I'm wondering how it would work if I just filled it with wort & yeast and just used a blow-off tube so that head space would be next to nothing.  I've got a week or so to work the details out.
I thought of that and forgot to mention it: the idea about filling and using a blow off. It's worth a try IMO. If it fails it will possibility be in a way that makes a good story too...
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 10:01:01 pm »
I'd also be worried about cleaning the barrel after a primary fermentation.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 08:58:04 am »

I wonder what the farmers in Belgium did?  That is really the question that encompasses all these questions.  Or maybe the answer that answers them... whatever.  Regardless, I am not worried about reusing the barrel.  My plan is to turn it into an end table in my future bar shed/man cave.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 09:06:52 am »

I wonder what the farmers in Belgium did?  That is really the question that encompasses all these questions.  Or maybe the answer that answers them... whatever.  Regardless, I am not worried about reusing the barrel.  My plan is to turn it into an end table in my future bar shed/man cave.

Oh, I didn't realize this was going to be the last time you use the barrel. Well I guess just go for it then.

Have you thought about the grain bill? Golden Promise will work great.  If you are going for authentic, you should probably find some unmalted local grain to throw in there. I live on the west end of the Palouse so it's pretty easy to find wheat, but rye, oats, spelt, triticale can all be found in my local health food store.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 05:22:14 pm »
That's an interesting thought!  I'll bet it would add a lot of character to the beer.

BTW I just ordered the book Farmhouse Ales, by Phil Markowski.  Hopefully it will give some further insight.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 11:25:48 am »

My saison did not win a medal. In fact, in category 19, the 3 medal winners were saison. I am looking forward to reviewing my score sheet. Congrats to the winners!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA