Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Putting together a RIS now for Christmas 2016 gifts  (Read 5029 times)

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
Re: Putting together a RIS now for Christmas 2016 gifts
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 10:27:45 am »
Brew an amber and give that away.  Cellar the RIS  ;D

In all seriousness, make as much of this beer as you can.  We made one on our 14-gallon system in 2014, and I gave a ton away, but now wish I had more.  We brewed Jamil's recipe, had 1/3 of it 'naked', 1/3 aged on bourbon oak spirals, and the other 1/3 aged on grand-marnier oak spirals. 
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 11:09:53 am »
In all seriousness, make as much of this beer as you can.  We made one on our 14-gallon system in 2014,

+1 - I made a 10gal batch of my RIS in 2008 and was crushed in 2012 when it was all gone.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 06:19:37 am »
I thought I would give an update to this RIS I’m aging for holiday presents to my beer drinking friends/family next winter. I basically followed all of Hoosierbrew’s suggestions to a T. I stuck a 12 oz bottle in the fridge for a few days and gave it a go last night. It’s 5 months in the bottle at this point.

Aroma: Big burst of dark fruit and a subtle hint of coffee and dark chocolate. No hop aroma.

Appearance: Pours an inch of deep tan head that dissipates to a thin ring after a few sips. Very edge of the glass is brilliant copper/red and the rest is jet black. The beer is clear as I’d expect from an aged bottle with WY1450.

Flavor: Again, dark fruits dominate with a nice balance of roast/coffee and an undertone of dark chocolate. Bitterness is moderate and clean which balances the slightly sweet maltiness well. No cloying sweetness or syrupiness.

Mouthfeel: Extremely full bodied and velvet smooth. Warming from alcohol is subtle and welcome with everything else going on in the beer. Carbonation is medium-low.

This did not drink like a 10.5% beer at all. I’m not sure there’s anything I’d change on this recipe - maybe a touch more bitterness in the baseline is all I can think. I enjoyed this immensely even in early June. Can’t wait to crack one when it’s appropriately cold outside and has been sitting for another 6 months. I think the recipients of this are going to be quite pleased (hoping to squirrel away at least a few for myself and my wife to enjoy once a year).

Thanks again to Hoosierbrew for all the tips/help with the recipe and execution. Next year I’m going to try another variant - maybe something that balances more toward the roast coffee and dark chocolate end of the spectrum rather than the dark fruit end.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2016, 08:54:23 am »
Wow, that sounds delicious! It's making me thirsty for one!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2016, 09:08:38 am »
I thought I would give an update to this RIS I’m aging for holiday presents to my beer drinking friends/family next winter. I basically followed all of Hoosierbrew’s suggestions to a T. I stuck a 12 oz bottle in the fridge for a few days and gave it a go last night. It’s 5 months in the bottle at this point.

Aroma: Big burst of dark fruit and a subtle hint of coffee and dark chocolate. No hop aroma.

Appearance: Pours an inch of deep tan head that dissipates to a thin ring after a few sips. Very edge of the glass is brilliant copper/red and the rest is jet black. The beer is clear as I’d expect from an aged bottle with WY1450.

Flavor: Again, dark fruits dominate with a nice balance of roast/coffee and an undertone of dark chocolate. Bitterness is moderate and clean which balances the slightly sweet maltiness well. No cloying sweetness or syrupiness.

Mouthfeel: Extremely full bodied and velvet smooth. Warming from alcohol is subtle and welcome with everything else going on in the beer. Carbonation is medium-low.

This did not drink like a 10.5% beer at all. I’m not sure there’s anything I’d change on this recipe - maybe a touch more bitterness in the baseline is all I can think. I enjoyed this immensely even in early June. Can’t wait to crack one when it’s appropriately cold outside and has been sitting for another 6 months. I think the recipients of this are going to be quite pleased (hoping to squirrel away at least a few for myself and my wife to enjoy once a year).

Thanks again to Hoosierbrew for all the tips/help with the recipe and execution. Next year I’m going to try another variant - maybe something that balances more toward the roast coffee and dark chocolate end of the spectrum rather than the dark fruit end.

Glad to hear it! Sounds like you nailed it. Only gets better from here!
Jon H.