Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Speidel/Oat Malt Mild/Low Oxygen  (Read 4877 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: New Speidel/Oat Malt Mild/Low Oxygen
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »
Gravity is down to 1.009 without there having been any visible kraeusen. Is that worrisome?

Not if the beer tastes and smells good. Some strains produce more krausen and ferment faster than others.

It's Thames Valley. I perceive a quite strong sulfury smell. Is that typical for this yeast?

Not typical IME, but I wouldn't worry too much. Sulfur dissipates with time, and you can help out the process by venting the keg periodically (assuming you keg this).

First you tell me that I shouldn't worry if the smell is good. Now you tell me that I shouldn't worry about the sulfur smell. When exactly should I start worrying? :'(

The sulfur will dissipate. If it tastes like crap 6 weeks from now, worry.  :)  BTW did you use the SS chiller for this beer out of curiosity?  I ask because the wort being in contact with copper (as in a copper chiller) is known to reduce sulfur levels. All this stuff about low O2 brewing seems (by avoiding copper)to introduce the possibilty of sulfur-y beers. Again, the sulfur will dissipate though.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 12:47:49 pm »
Ha, yes indeed. I bought a stainless steel chiller with the BM. Before I always used a copper chiller, and never ever experienced any sulfury smells.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 02:44:51 pm »
Gravity is down to 1.009 without there having been any visible kraeusen. Is that worrisome?

Not if the beer tastes and smells good. Some strains produce more krausen and ferment faster than others.

It's Thames Valley. I perceive a quite strong sulfury smell. Is that typical for this yeast?

Not typical IME, but I wouldn't worry too much. Sulfur dissipates with time, and you can help out the process by venting the keg periodically (assuming you keg this).

First you tell me that I shouldn't worry if the smell is good. Now you tell me that I shouldn't worry about the sulfur smell. When exactly should I start worrying? :'(

The sulfur will dissipate. If it tastes like crap 6 weeks from now, worry.  :)  BTW did you use the SS chiller for this beer out of curiosity?  I ask because the wort being in contact with copper (as in a copper chiller) is known to reduce sulfur levels. All this stuff about low O2 brewing seems (by avoiding copper)to introduce the possibilty of sulfur-y beers. Again, the sulfur will dissipate though.
I'm fairly convinced that a big part of the "German flavor" is that they tend to prefer higher levels of sulfur.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 03:46:10 pm »

I'm fairly convinced that a big part of the "German flavor" is that they tend to prefer higher levels of sulfur.

No doubt that low sulfur is to be expected (even desireable) in some of those beers. Not in many other styles though, or at elevated levels.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2016, 08:12:07 am »
Ha, yes indeed. I bought a stainless steel chiller with the BM. Before I always used a copper chiller, and never ever experienced any sulfury smells.

Interesting....

BTW, you may not want to repitch/save this yeast slurry if you had a wonky fermentation with it. Just something to consider.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2016, 04:01:22 am »
I most certainly will dump the yeast.

Had a sip of the beer yesterday, which seems to have stabilized at around 1.008.  Pure sulfur.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 03:07:13 am »
Sulphur smell has subsided a bit, but I see bubbles on the surface of the wort, and gravity is going down slowly. I think I am finally going to dump this into the piths of Dante's ninth circle of hell.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:34:42 am by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 09:06:34 am »
You jinxed it by not using the PVPP.  ;D  Hopefully you can dig a bit and source a larger quantity that should be more cost effective.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 09:23:37 am »
As I suggested before, it's a Greek tragedy: I am being punished for my hubris.
Frank P.