Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bad beer  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Redbeak63

• 1st Kit
Bad beer
« on: May 25, 2016, 12:53:34 pm »
Ive only been brewing about a yr and i just went straight to all grain but im really having problems making good beer.....i just started to use my keezer as a fermentor and i hope this will help with my temp swings but i could use some advice from anyone with tips to improve my methods

RPIScotty

Re: Bad beer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 12:54:15 pm »
Ive only been brewing about a yr and i just went straight to all grain but im really having problems making good beer.....i just started to use my keezer as a fermentor and i hope this will help with my temp swings but i could use some advice from anyone with tips to improve my methods

Can you detail where you think you are lacking?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:04:12 pm »
Tell us what you do now for both recipes and process.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 09:10:36 pm »
... and describe why you think your beers need help.  I guarantee you that the people here will point you in the right direction.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 05:35:48 am »

That right there will probably help hugely in your process to making good beer. Temp control is critical. But so is pitching the "proper" amount of yeast, "proper" aeration and, of course sanitation. But there is also water quality, removal of chlorine, proper pH balance. Could be any number of things.

As the others said, try to give us an idea of what is wrong with you beer.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 05:03:51 pm »
+1 to everything they said.  We'll be happy to help you diagnose your issues.

That said, do you belong to a homebrew club?  Are there any experienced palates that you can bring your beer to for diagnosis?  Being able to taste it "live" and talk through your process will make things easier to figure out.

Here's a list of the higher ranked BJCP judges who are pre-qualified to proctor the beer judging exam.  It is sorted by country/state/city.  Perhaps you could try contacting a couple of these folks that live near you for a diagnosis session? The vast majority would be happy to meet and help you out.

http://www.bjcp.org/apps/reports/proctors.php

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 05:17:27 pm »
+1 to everything they said.  We'll be happy to help you diagnose your issues.

That said, do you belong to a homebrew club?  Are there any experienced palates that you can bring your beer to for diagnosis?  Being able to taste it "live" and talk through your process will make things easier to figure out.

Here's a list of the higher ranked BJCP judges who are pre-qualified to proctor the beer judging exam.  It is sorted by country/state/city.  Perhaps you could try contacting a couple of these folks that live near you for a diagnosis session? The vast majority would be happy to meet and help you out.

http://www.bjcp.org/apps/reports/proctors.php

HTH-

Steve, that is one crazy list of experienced human beer machines.