Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many of you have truly gotten a batch destroying infection  (Read 5754 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: How many of you have truly gotten a batch destroying infection
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 09:14:55 am »
I've had it happen twice, both infections came from the same source. (contaminated blowoff tubing.)

The resulting beers had a horrible vomit-like stomach-acid flavor. Completely undrinkable.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 09:45:18 am »
About 10-12 years ago, I had a nasty pediococcus infection in my brewery, which came about the same time I was brewing lambics.  Think I threw out at least 4 batches.  I did get rid of it, eventually, through a combination of bleach soaks, heat, and quaternary ammonium.

Now I have a low level brett infection, which slightly sours some long sitting beers.  I haven't decided whether to get rid of it yet or not.  I am preferring the soured keg of doppelbock over the too sweet unsoured version that I had at Christmas.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:01 am »
I've dumped a couple batches in 200+ batches, but only because I didn't like the finished beer.  I've never had an infection that required dumping.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 11:51:36 am »
In 18 years I've had a few infected bottles but I can't specifically say I've had entire batches infected.  Some where just "not quite right" and we drank them faster than we normally would, just in case.

I have had absolutely awful beers because of bad temp control and messed up processes but nothing I would write off as "infected".  The problem kids have always been my fault.    ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 01:46:38 pm »
Amanda and I have decided this thread is full of liars.    ;D
at the very least you guys are entering competitions a lot less frequently than those making the infected stuff I keep running into at the judging table.

Sure, I've tossed batches.  Certainly more because of oxidation or just being tired of it, but infections happen.  Occasionally the effect is lovely, and sometimes others don't even notice it.  Friends couldn't detect the mouse in a batch of cider, but it was there, and I didn't keep that **** another day.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 02:38:10 pm »
at the very least you guys are entering competitions a lot less frequently than those making the infected stuff I keep running into at the judging table.

Sure, I've tossed batches.  Certainly more because of oxidation or just being tired of it, but infections happen.  Occasionally the effect is lovely, and sometimes others don't even notice it.  Friends couldn't detect the mouse in a batch of cider, but it was there, and I didn't keep that **** another day.

That's probably a good working theory.   ;D

For what it's worth I have never entered a competition.  Just isn't my idea of fun.

I was told once by an owner of a brewery here in Des Moines that he thought my beers were awesome.  Didn't find out who the guy was until weeks later so that's the sum total of the appraisal.   ::)

I'm sure some have had infections but they were not so obviously terrible they got thrown out but I would never intentionally tell you guys lies. ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 03:03:47 pm »
My chief problem on recent dumpers (2 in the last year) were due to mold and wild yeast taking hold post fermentation, when I left the beer in the primary for over a month beyond fermentation ending.  Those buggers arose, because they were present (perhaps from airborne contamination, but also a possible result of the yeast used on a re-pitch getting contaminated...)  In any event they didn't show up for several weeks and were pretty mildly impactful (though enough effect on flavor to make me say "dump it!").

Why so long in the primary?  No empty kegs...now I will bottle beers from keg and get on with a quicker rotation to the kegs.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 03:44:19 pm »
Why so long in the primary?  No empty kegs...now I will bottle beers from keg and get on with a quicker rotation to the kegs.

Or buy more kegs.

Infections don't just happen, though.  There's a weak link somewhere that allows them to happen.  I've had a couple over the years, but nothing persistent or even really traceable to specific equipment.  Probably due to way underpitching or using old yeast such that the infection took hold before the yeast did.

I used to be a little more worried about it until I realized that the strange tart flavor in certain beers came from Nottingham yeast.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 03:51:57 pm »

Or buy more kegs.

I used to be a little more worried about it until I realized that the strange tart flavor in certain beers came from Nottingham yeast.

Poor Nottingham.  No love do you have. That's okay, I think its just ooookay too.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »
Maybe I need to give it another try.

Maybe.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 04:00:22 pm »
Maybe I need to give it another try.

Maybe.

Don't waste your time.  There are tons of great strains out there to dabble with.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 04:14:54 pm »

Or buy more kegs.

Infections don't just happen, though.  There's a weak link somewhere that allows them to happen.  I've had a couple over the years, but nothing persistent or even really traceable to specific equipment.  Probably due to way underpitching or using old yeast such that the infection took hold before the yeast did.

As to more kegs - at 17, I am pushing my storage space limits already!

As to causes of infection, I think the airborne contaminants can be minimized, and good cleaning and sanitation can root out most issues on the containers and transfer tubing, but what about those that are in the yeast pack?  I noticed that on the yeast packaging or website, some of the wild yeast are present and given enough time may be able to take hold to a noticeable degree....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 04:27:33 pm »
As to causes of infection, I think the airborne contaminants can be minimized, and good cleaning and sanitation can root out most issues on the containers and transfer tubing, but what about those that are in the yeast pack?  I noticed that on the yeast packaging or website, some of the wild yeast are present and given enough time may be able to take hold to a noticeable degree....

I don't doubt there's a slight possibility of that. I've just never had an issue leaving in primary for 3 weeks, 4 weeks on big beers. Part of it has been wanting to let beers clean up (especially certain strains) and part has been work/ family schedules. Definitely never a bad idea to keg a beer that's ready, though.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 04:41:55 pm »

I have an impression that 10% of brewers who enter competition are very good to excellent brewers and the other 90% are at least partially deluded. I also bet that most great brewers don't enter competitions.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2016, 04:54:02 pm »
Pushed the envelope on this topic today and I will see where I end up. Made the stone russian imperial stout and made a starter pitched yesterday and this morning the 5 gal lid was crowned and it was spewing out of one area where apparently my bucket seal is not so good. This happened when I was at work and my wife tried to help but lost the gasket for the blow off tube in the beer so i told her put the bucket in a clean new garbage bag and cover the top with another. Being the clean freak i am i yanked the top and cleaned and sanitized it and cleaned the sides of the bucket when i got home from work. It had an open top for a while. Im hoping because it was so active nothing went in only out! We will see. Hey its home brewing right?   
Jimmykx250