Author Topic: How many of you have truly gotten a batch destroying infection  (Read 2112 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

  • Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 12915
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you have truly gotten a batch destroying infection
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 03:59:35 PM »
Pushed the envelope on this topic today and I will see where I end up. Made the stone russian imperial stout and made a starter pitched yesterday and this morning the 5 gal lid was crowned and it was spewing out of one area where apparently my bucket seal is not so good. This happened when I was at work and my wife tried to help but lost the gasket for the blow off tube in the beer so i told her put the bucket in a clean new garbage bag and cover the top with another. Being the clean freak i am i yanked the top and cleaned and sanitized it and cleaned the sides of the bucket when i got home from work. It had an open top for a while. Im hoping because it was so active nothing went in only out! We will see. Hey its home brewing right?   



You should be fine. Like you say, the active fermentation would've kept the fermenter purged for that amount of time.  And there are still quite a few breweries that open ferment.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 3150
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you have truly gotten a batch destroying infection
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »
Pushed the envelope on this topic today and I will see where I end up. Made the stone russian imperial stout and made a starter pitched yesterday and this morning the 5 gal lid was crowned and it was spewing out of one area where apparently my bucket seal is not so good. This happened when I was at work and my wife tried to help but lost the gasket for the blow off tube in the beer so i told her put the bucket in a clean new garbage bag and cover the top with another. Being the clean freak i am i yanked the top and cleaned and sanitized it and cleaned the sides of the bucket when i got home from work. It had an open top for a while. Im hoping because it was so active nothing went in only out! We will see. Hey its home brewing right?

Timely. I was just talking with a brewing buddy about a scenario like this that I encountered in my early brewing days...

I too was making my first RIS and could only chill it down to 80F due to summer time blues. I racked it on top of a pre-existing yeast cake (have not done that since) and by the next morning, the lid had completely blown off the bucket and about 6+ inches of foam/krausen was pouring out of the open bucket. I had no temp control and had placed the bucket in the coolest, most dingy, filthy part of my dirt covered unfinished basement. Needless to say, I thought that brew was destined for infection.
I bottled it up as it tasted fine, and about 10 months later, I took multiple gold medals with it along with a couple BOS's. So, long story short, you will probably be fine, or at least the Ninkasi God will smile upon you.

Offline udubdawg

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1065
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you have truly gotten a batch destroying infection
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 05:30:30 PM »

I have an impression that 10% of brewers who enter competition are very good to excellent brewers and the other 90% are at least partially deluded.

I'm pretty sure I fit both of these though.  8)
You coming to NHC? And perhaps more importantly, if so are you bringing mead?

Offline pete b

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 3098
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you have truly gotten a batch destroying infection
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 04:30:53 AM »

I have an impression that 10% of brewers who enter competition are very good to excellent brewers and the other 90% are at least partially deluded.

I'm pretty sure I fit both of these though.  8)
You coming to NHC? And perhaps more importantly, if so are you bringing mead?
No, I haven't seriously considered going yet. Even tough I have 8 weeks vacation I manage to fill it up with things to do, I think someday I will. I am a borderline introvert which manifests in me very much enjoying socializing but then needing time alone. I try to never book socializing for both days of the weekend. So several days with a crowd of people is a stretch for me. The thing I find most appealing is the forum meet up. I picture myself when I do go attending a manageable amount of events and spending a good amount of my time exploring the host city on my own.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Joe Sr.

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 4263
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you have truly gotten a batch destroying infection
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 07:30:24 AM »
Maybe I need to give it another try.

Maybe.

Don't waste your time.  There are tons of great strains out there to dabble with.

Yeah, but I have two packs in my dry yeast stash that I saw last week.  I'll need to use them for something.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton