Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Summer Beer" Competition - Can an Altbier be included?  (Read 1732 times)

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
"Summer Beer" Competition - Can an Altbier be included?
« on: May 26, 2016, 02:40:05 pm »
Our homebrew club started doing some friendly in-club competition this year.  We use the Beer Party Tasting Sheet from Brewer's Friend to judge the beers that are submitted.  Any member at the meeting at which the competition is held can evaluate the beers using the Brewer's Friend sheet.  Bragging rights are at stake here - nothing of material value is awarded.  We do it for the fun and the friendly competition, sharing of beers and recipes, promoting of the club, and encouraging meeting attendance. The next competition will be our second one, and will be held at our June meeting.  The style/theme that has been advertised to all members is "Summer Beers - cream ales, blonde ales, wheat ales, farmhouse ales, saisons, lawnmower beers, or a Kolsch." 

One of the fellows in the club recently brewed a Dusseldorf Altbier and has asked if he could enter the Alt in the summer competition as a lawnmower beer.  As one of the lead judges, the decision most likely lies with myself and the other lead judge, since we're running the competition.  I certainly don't want to be too strict and exclusionary, but need to be fair too - some of the things I've looked at on the Internet include a periodic table of beer that depicted Altbier a "mixed style" along with Kolsch, which we have already allowed; another stated that Alt's low ABV makes it sessionable.

So, what do you beer judges say out there?  Is it too much of a stretch to allow a Dusseldorf Alt into a summer beers competition?

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
Re: "Summer Beer" Competition - Can an Altbier be included?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:42:34 pm »
nothing of material value is awarded.  We do it for the fun and the friendly competition, sharing of beers and recipes, promoting of the club, and encouraging meeting attendance.

I think this answers your question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 02:44:13 pm »
Personally I don't consider an alt to be either a lawnmower or summer beer...but it's your comp and there's no reason you can't make the rules anything you want them to be.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 03:25:35 pm »
For bragging rights? Sure, what the heck.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 03:33:29 pm »
I say go for it. It sounds like just a fun, friendly thing anyway. The best kind IMO.
Jon H.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 04:54:13 pm »
I'd let it in.  The spirit of a "lawnmower beer" comp is something you could knock down after mowing the lawn.  I'm drinking a Vienna Lager as I type this.  Dusseldorfer Alt is quite similar, with just a tad more hop character and very, very light esters due to using German ale yeast instead of lager yeast.  Both would go down great on a hot day.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 08:28:04 am »
Thanks for the backup, guys!  Will post the beer that won the week after next.

Sent from my iPhone in northwest Indiana using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 03:58:09 pm »
Do they drink alt in Dusseldorf in July?

I bottled a batch of alt a week ago that I brewed with K-97, so I'll certainly be drinking alt this coming summer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 11:21:15 am »

Well, I'm sure they woudln't be caught dead drinking Kolsch, since those 2 cities seem to have a bit of a beer rivalry :P 

If I had to guess without ever having been there though they probably still drink alt along with pils & radler.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 11:40:36 am »

Well, I'm sure they woudln't be caught dead drinking Kolsch, since those 2 cities seem to have a bit of a beer rivalry :P 

If I had to guess without ever having been there though they probably still drink alt along with pils & radler.
I have had many an Alt in Düsseldorf in July. At Ürige they spill out over the sidewalk, and have a tap and tables across the street. It is a wonderful time.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!