Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is 7 days long enough?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
Is 7 days long enough?
« on: May 22, 2016, 07:54:16 am »
I bottled my first batch this last Monday (an American IPA), and so far, no bottle bombs, and looking at the bottles, there is no ring around the neck indicating any infection.  I was thinking about popping a bottle in the fridge tonight and opening it up tomorrow to check it.  Is 7 days long enough in the bottle to get an idea of how well it is carbonating and clearing (if at all), or should I just wait another week before popping open a bottle?  I do plan to let the rest of it sit in the bottle another week before touching it.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Is 7 days long enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 08:05:57 am »
I bottled my first batch this last Monday (an American IPA), and so far, no bottle bombs, and looking at the bottles, there is no ring around the neck indicating any infection.  I was thinking about popping a bottle in the fridge tonight and opening it up tomorrow to check it.  Is 7 days long enough in the bottle to get an idea of how well it is carbonating and clearing (if at all), or should I just wait another week before popping open a bottle?  I do plan to let the rest of it sit in the bottle another week before touching it.

For me, 10-12 days is the bare minimum to get even a remotely drinkable level of carbonation, and it still may taste a bit sweet from unfermented priming sugar. I usually wait at least 2 weeks for my first check, and full carbonation is usually around 3 weeks.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 08:07:37 am »

It'll be partially carbed, assuming the bottles are @ room temp. It takes 2-4 weeks to hit full carb (depending on yeast strain), quicker if you put the bottles in the very warmest room of the house.
Jon H.

Offline coryday

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 08:11:06 am »
Two weeks is the least amount of time. It's hard to wait, but you'll be disappointed if you try it before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 08:12:59 am »
Thanks.  I'll let them all hang out for another week before messing with them.  They are in pantry that holds temp around 73F.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 02:49:01 pm »
I decided to pop one open after 12 days in the bottle.  There was a little pssst when I popped the top, and the visible vapors, so it is at least carbing some.  The carbonation is very low still, so I will leave them for another week before checking again.  I think they will wind up under carbed though, as I think my priming sugar was a little low.  I like cask ales, so a little lower carbonation wont be a big deal.  Flavor-wise, it's not bad.  Considering it is my first batch, I think it came out OK.  I don't notice any glaring off-flavors, but not as aromatic as I like for an IPA.  For a first attempt, I could have screwed things up a lot more than I did.  What I learned from doing this batch, I can now apply to the next one to make it even better.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 05:27:38 pm »
My beers usually take around 4 to 6 weeks (at 65F in my basement) after bottling to peak out in flavor.  Give it time.  Flavors may continue to develop.