Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting ready to go electric.  (Read 1513 times)

Offline cgamble1521

• 1st Kit
Getting ready to go electric.
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:03:54 am »
Spent all weekend researching my daydream for electric brew. From the BoilCoil to PID controls to the Grainfather. I finally stumbled across the BrewPi  http://www.brewpi.com/ . Honestly, it seems like it answers every problem i encountered with the others, in an idiot proof package.

Question is - is it too good to be true or is this my promised land ? Recommendations ?

Offline cgamble1521

• 1st Kit
Re: Getting ready to go electric.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:17:35 am »
Ok, found the problem. Despite all of the pieces being ready, the controller firmware only supports fermentation at the moment. Cart - what did you do with the horse !

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 04:14:54 pm »
Brewpi started as fermentation control as a proof of concept a few years back. Since then, the developer has switched platforms and added some features. It can be used for hot side control, but it isn't supported and would require programming or getting code from someone else.

The lead developer is doing this as an extension of the hobby with assistance from others, that said, it's very slow going.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 08:23:34 am »
I believe brewpi "Spark" is the hot-side development product, but it's not there yet.  I use a home-made version for fermentation and it's great.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Getting ready to go electric.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 09:26:57 am »
I believe brewpi "Spark" is the hot-side development product, but it's not there yet.  I use a home-made version for fermentation and it's great.
Spark is the micro controller. The developer moved away from arduino as he was unable to fit what he wanted within the memory limitations of the arduino. He could have developed his own arduino board with more memory, but instead he opted for the spark.

The spark has had a lot of growing pains. They pre-sold the hell out of them and got hosed by sub-standard components that caused failures. In theory the spark platform should be better than ardunio.

They are developing hot side control, just very slowly.

Offline cgamble1521

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:47:41 pm »
Thank for the 411 - i guess i just need to bite the bullet and go grain father. i'm not thrilled with the solution, especially since i am going to be limited to 110v, but i would really like to get a solution where i can brew in-doors again. The summer here gets to hot to exist in, much less boiling gallons of water..