Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A great start to half price sushi night  (Read 3827 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
A great start to half price sushi night
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:10:52 pm »

Our favorite sushi restaurant runs half price Tuesdays. Nothing like $70 worth of specialty rolls for $35. Hot sake and cold Kirin Ichiban go with it all so well. Really the only time for the Kirin, but it fits
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
Re: A great start to half price sushi night
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:45:44 pm »
I have a friend named Kieran that brews beer. I really want him to brew a "clone" of this and call it Kieran's Ichibum.

Love Sushi, but don't eat it often because it's often so expensive for as much as I like to eat.
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:07:53 pm »
Nothing wrong with Kirin Ichiban. It is my go-to beer for sushi, and I make no apologies for it. There are some beers that set the mood for a particular meal, even if it's not something you'd typically get on its own. For me, when I'm going out to eat it's Kirin with sushi, Negro Modelo with Mexican, and PBR with BBQ.

As far as the sake goes, I can't do the hot stuff. But I love a good cold glass (or 4) of a nice sake. In fact, you have inspired me. I just poured myself a glass of Ty Ku Black to kick off my evening. Kanpai!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

RPIScotty

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 06:19:21 pm »
I had some great beers from Bairds while eating at Morimoto Asia in Downtown Disney last week.

The Angry Boy Brown Ale was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 06:24:41 pm »
Nothing wrong with Kirin Ichiban. It is my go-to beer for sushi, and I make no apologies for it. There are some beers that set the mood for a particular meal, even if it's not something you'd typically get on its own. For me, when I'm going out to eat it's Kirin with sushi, Negro Modelo with Mexican, and PBR with BBQ.

As far as the sake goes, I can't do the hot stuff. But I love a good cold glass (or 4) of a nice sake.

Yep, I agree with all of this. And Frank, sounds great! Nice deal.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 06:29:26 pm »
When it comes to discount raw fish I'm not so sure I am as concerned that it gets off "to a great start" as much as it doesn't end badly. Especially on a Tuesday. That would be last week's fish, making room for this week's deliveries in the cooler...
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 06:45:06 pm »
Substitute Shiner Bock for the PBR and I'm with you. Texans have our standards ;) 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 07:01:24 pm »
When it comes to discount raw fish I'm not so sure I am as concerned that it gets off "to a great start" as much as it doesn't end badly. Especially on a Tuesday. That would be last week's fish, making room for this week's deliveries in the cooler...
To quote a helicopter pilot friend, "probably it's fine"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 07:07:19 pm »
I had some great beers from Bairds while eating at Morimoto Asia in Downtown Disney last week.

I'm jealous - I tried to convince the family to go when we were there in March, but no takers.

I ate at Morimoto's in Philly about 10 years back, and it was by far my greatest dining experience ever. I still remember just about everything I had:

Yuzu Martini with an edible flower floated in the glass as garnish
Tofu made tableside, served with snow crab sauce
Fugu - I ordered Nigiri, but I regret not ordering as sashimi
Chilean Sea Bass with black bean sauce

What was most memorable was that you could pick out each ingredient in each dish. There were no big flavors; everything seemed almost understated, but that allowed even the most delicate ingredients to shine through. I was truly blown away by the whole experience.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 07:13:52 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I found that at  aJapanese restaurant in Milwaukee. What a great beer.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

RPIScotty

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 07:15:32 pm »

I'm jealous - I tried to convince the family to go when we were there in March, but no takers.

I ate at Morimoto's in Philly about 10 years back, and it was by far my greatest dining experience ever. I still remember just about everything I had:

Yuzu Martini with an edible flower floated in the glass as garnish
Tofu made tableside, served with snow crab sauce
Fugu - I ordered Nigiri, but I regret not ordering as sashimi
Chilean Sea Bass with black bean sauce

What was most memorable was that you could pick out each ingredient in each dish. There were no big flavors; everything seemed almost understated, but that allowed even the most delicate ingredients to shine through. I was truly blown away by the whole experience.

It was great. The rolls were so fresh. Big chunks of delicious tofu in the miso soup. Crab rangoons were amazing. The Bairds beers were delicious. It was the first time my wife and I had a night out in a long time.

Doesn't hurt that it is directly adjacent to Raglan Road. We popped over after and I got a McChouffe. I love downtown Disney (I refuse to call it Disney Springs)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 07:42:31 pm »
To quote a helicopter pilot friend, "probably it's fine"

You go first. I'll watch.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 10:06:12 pm »

As far as the sake goes, I can't do the hot stuff. But I love a good cold glass (or 4) of a nice sake. In fact, you have inspired me. I just poured myself a glass of Ty Ku Black to kick off my evening. Kanpai!
I agree completely erockrph,  we found some Shiko Cho bai (sp?) Out in LA 2 years ago. It was a cold, unfiltered, milky white, delicious sake. Can't find it around here often so we make do with the cheap stuff. And as I said about the Kirin, I can't imagine ordering a different beer there.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 12:20:40 am »
I regret not trying the Kirin Black at a sushi place in Auckland last time I was there.  Not seen it before or since.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 05:28:59 am »

I'll add Kingfisher with Indian to that list.
Frank, my discount sushi comment was maybe a bit snarky but was just a joke. I think you were a restaurant guy so you would know if the place is quality or not.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.