Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Bru'n Water Tutorials - new links  (Read 3033 times)

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
My Bru'n Water Tutorials - new links
« on: May 25, 2016, 07:36:19 am »

Apologies for those that have previously book marked the walkthroughs I did on Brungard's Bru'n Water free and subscriber edition spreadsheets. I recently rebuilt my Wordpress site and the perma-links have changed.

If you are not aware, there are significant feature differences between subscriber and free editions, that are worth a donation! You can learn more about Bru'n Water at https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/. I am not affiliated with Bru'n Water, and have no affiliations or sponsorships at my blog.

A top menu now has a page to all three versions.
http://accidentalis.com/brun-water-tutorials/

Direct tutorial links below:
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: My Bru'n Water Tutorials - new links
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 08:44:43 am »
You could set redirects from the old links to the new in your .htaccess with very little effort.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 09:21:47 am »
I did do that, but I am still seeing the occasional 404.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 09:52:45 am »

Apologies for those that have previously book marked the walkthroughs I did on Brungard's Bru'n Water free and subscriber edition spreadsheets. I recently rebuilt my Wordpress site and the perma-links have changed.

If you are not aware, there are significant feature differences between subscriber and free editions, that are worth a donation! You can learn more about Bru'n Water at https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/. I am not affiliated with Bru'n Water, and have no affiliations or sponsorships at my blog.

A top menu now has a page to all three versions.
http://accidentalis.com/brun-water-tutorials/

Direct tutorial links below:

Thanks, Matt.  Those walkthroughs are great!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:45:51 pm »
Of course, I just updated the free version of Bru'n Water to include an interface that is more like the supporter's version and it has also had the form controls removed so that the program will work on more platforms. The program has been stripped down to the barest minimum so that new users are less likely to be overwhelmed and will use the program. The free version comes in a single program that includes settings for US and SI units.

Check it out and let me know if you find bugs!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 12:58:51 pm »
May I ask what the minimum donation is to get the subscriber addition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 03:16:30 pm »
Of course, I just updated the free version of Bru'n Water to include an interface that is more like the supporter's version and it has also had the form controls removed so that the program will work on more platforms. The program has been stripped down to the barest minimum so that new users are less likely to be overwhelmed and will use the program. The free version comes in a single program that includes settings for US and SI units.

Good thing I am unemployed right now...

yeah will run it through the mill and update the walkthrough. Thanks!

Thanks, Matt.  Those walkthroughs are great!

Thank you Denny!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline blorvak

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 08:58:55 pm »

Hey Martin, do you know if the new form works in Google docs? I'd tried the older one and it mostly worked, but the style selection drop down didn't. So I couldn't set a water profile. Not horrible, as I could research that stuff elsewhere but it would be nice to have.

If not, that's fine! I know most people have Excel. I'm just an outlier.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 02:25:25 am »

Hey Martin, do you know if the new form works in Google docs? I'd tried the older one and it mostly worked, but the style selection drop down didn't. So I couldn't set a water profile. Not horrible, as I could research that stuff elsewhere but it would be nice to have.

LibreOffice is an open source office suite that you can download and install for free.  You can run Bru'n Water in it.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

RPIScotty

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 03:04:40 am »

I've never had good luck running my Excel stuff through sheets. Now that Martin has eliminated the macros you should have a better time but the conditional formatting will not work.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 10:12:02 am »
I also use Bru'NWater through LibreOffice at Martin's suggestion. It seems no different than when I ran it in excel for the first year I had it. It did not look right or show me everything in Google Sheets, but the free Libre Office is the way to go if not excel
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline blorvak

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 06:10:15 pm »
Thanks all!  I'll try out Libre Office on my desktop. I'm generally using a Chromebook for 90% of my computing these days, which is why Google Docs is attractive to me. It's light, stay charged all day, and I don't mind when I accidentally dump it on the floor. Which is often.

RPIScotty

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 06:54:22 pm »
I spoke with Martin the past few days and ran the free version through Excel for the tablet and it seems to work great.

The tablet version of Excel only requires that you create a Microsoft account. The functionality is limited and no where near on par with the desktop version but allows you to run the free version of Brun water with little or no issue and the original formatting and function.

I created my brewing spreadsheet in desktop Excel specifically for use with Excel for iPad. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk