Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A great start to half price sushi night  (Read 3851 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: A great start to half price sushi night
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 05:33:12 am »
I'll add Kingfisher with Indian to that list.

+1 to that, too. Had that combo a couple weekends ago.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 05:37:47 am »
Nothing wrong with Kirin Ichiban. It is my go-to beer for sushi, and I make no apologies for it. There are some beers that set the mood for a particular meal, even if it's not something you'd typically get on its own. For me, when I'm going out to eat it's Kirin with sushi, Negro Modelo with Mexican, and PBR with BBQ.

As far as the sake goes, I can't do the hot stuff. But I love a good cold glass (or 4) of a nice sake. In fact, you have inspired me. I just poured myself a glass of Ty Ku Black to kick off my evening. Kanpai!
Frank, my discount sushi comment was maybe a bit snarky but was just a joke. I think you were a restaurant guy so you would know if the place is quality or not.
Yeah, I got the joke and that would normally be my thought as well. We tried this place out at regular prices first, before we knew about the Tuesday special and have never had an issue. Kind of an upscale Hibachi and sushi place that is usually packed no matter what night we go. We love to sit at the sushi counter on Tuesdays and watch the 5 or 6 sushi chefs rolling non stop, and the kids love the hibachi flair when we are there for that. Have not tried Kingfisher, but have heard of it. Will have to look for it in the future, as the missus loves Indian cuisine
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 05:47:18 am »
Nothing wrong with Kirin Ichiban. It is my go-to beer for sushi, and I make no apologies for it. There are some beers that set the mood for a particular meal, even if it's not something you'd typically get on its own. For me, when I'm going out to eat it's Kirin with sushi, Negro Modelo with Mexican, and PBR with BBQ.

As far as the sake goes, I can't do the hot stuff. But I love a good cold glass (or 4) of a nice sake. In fact, you have inspired me. I just poured myself a glass of Ty Ku Black to kick off my evening. Kanpai!
Frank, my discount sushi comment was maybe a bit snarky but was just a joke. I think you were a restaurant guy so you would know if the place is quality or not.
Yeah, I got the joke and that would normally be my thought as well. We tried this place out at regular prices first, before we knew about the Tuesday special and have never had an issue. Kind of an upscale Hibachi and sushi place that is usually packed no matter what night we go. We love to sit at the sushi counter on Tuesdays and watch the 5 or 6 sushi chefs rolling non stop, and the kids love the hibachi flair when we are there for that. Have not tried Kingfisher, but have heard of it. Will have to look for it in the future, as the missus loves Indian cuisine
Yea, high turnover is a great sign for any seafood restaurant. If their busy all the time no worries that the product has been around a week.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 06:39:40 am »
Nice!

Supposedly the only sake the Japanese will drink warm is the bottom shelf crap. If it's good stuff, you're ruining it by warming it up.

Offline PrettyBeard

• Cellarman
  • A short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 08:50:54 am »
Nice!

Supposedly the only sake the Japanese will drink warm is the bottom shelf crap. If it's good stuff, you're ruining it by warming it up.

I generally prefer chilled Nigori (juicy :P) sake, but something like run of the mill Gekkeikan or Hakutsuru is fine warm, chilled, or pretty much anywhere in between.  I wouldn't warm anything ginjo or better though.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 07:34:58 pm »
Nice!

I generally prefer chilled Nigori (juicy :P) sake, but something like run of the mill Gekkeikan or Hakutsuru is fine warm, chilled, or pretty much anywhere in between.  I wouldn't warm anything ginjo or better though.
I love Nigorizake, but it needs to be fresh. My favorite part of my yearly trip to Disney is picking up a bottle of good sake at Japan in Epcot.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 07:38:47 pm »
I think you all know a helluva lot more about sake than I do. We like the cheap stuff heated and the show chiko bai o mentioned earlier, but normally we don't try the more expensive stuff because we know nothing about them. Maybe I'll learn somethin here
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

RPIScotty

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:13 pm »
Nice!

I love Nigorizake, but it needs to be fresh. My favorite part of my yearly trip to Disney is picking up a bottle of good sake at Japan in Epcot.

I'm a Disney head to Eric. You can actually get a ton of great beer there. Have you used the Beers and Ears app?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 10:05:33 pm »
I'm a Disney head to Eric. You can actually get a ton of great beer there. Have you used the Beers and Ears app?
I have not, but I'll have to check it out next time. We do hit the biergarten as our lunch stop while in Epcot, and that's generally a guaranteed win. The tap list varies a bit, but I was psyched to get a liter of Warsteiner Dunkel this time around.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

RPIScotty

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 03:06:14 am »
I have not, but I'll have to check it out next time. We do hit the biergarten as our lunch stop while in Epcot, and that's generally a guaranteed win. The tap list varies a bit, but I was psyched to get a liter of Warsteiner Dunkel this time around.

Many of the restaurants in the resort hotels have excellent beer menus.

The beer cart in Canada is another one worth seeking out. They typically have Unibroue on tap.