Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: water profile help for crisp beer  (Read 5099 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
water profile help for crisp beer
« on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:22 am »
I mash the majority of my lighter beers somewhere between 5.3 and 5.4 depending on style unless I am doing something dark. I am brewing a summer/wheat'ish' type beer that I want to be crisp and refreshing. I went toward 5.2 once using acidulated malt and the finished beer had that lactic tang to it that took away from the character. I have been fearful of going that low since but assume it was an isolated incident and it is the only time I have used acidulated malt.

Right now I am planning to use the yellow balanced profile with an estimated mash pH of 5.3 via lactic acid. Should I use yellow bitter? Should I go lower with the mash pH? IBUs are calculated for the low 20s with the majority coming from late boil additions. The color is a bit darker at ~5.5 SRM.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline beersk

• In the night!
Re: water profile help for crisp beer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:49:07 pm »
Yeah, shoot for yellow bitter and mash low for better attenuation - 150F for 75 minutes should do. And I'd think aiming for 5.3 pH would be just fine.
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 04:21:52 pm »
I lately have been using yellow balanced for most light ales/lagers (especially) and shooting for 5.4 mash pH. The beers have been coming out great - dry, crisp, with noticeable body and mouthfeel. In the past, when I have used yellow bitter I feel that sometimes the sulfate gets in the way of the malt a bit. Just my 2 cents.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 04:29:26 pm »
+1.  I've backed off on the sulfate in my beers, too - even on APAs and AIPAs. I like yellow balanced for light lagers and ales, too. I've mashed pale beers 5.25 - 5.4 and liked the results. But I mash saisons @ 5.2 to accentuate the tart character of (most) saison yeasts.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:26:33 pm »
So is FG more important than the water in creating a 'crisp' beer? I think I may just stick with yellow balanced, 5.3 mash pH but mash at 148f for 75 min to promote higher attenuation.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 07:37:50 am »
So is FG more important than the water in creating a 'crisp' beer? I think I may just stick with yellow balanced, 5.3 mash pH but mash at 148f for 75 min to promote higher attenuation.

A crisp finish in a lager is definitely helped by getting good attenuation. But pH is a big factor too IMO. Beers in the 5.25-5.35 range seem to be more crisp to me as well.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 09:33:37 am »

No, not necessarily.  You can have a crisp beer that finishes in the mid teens if you do it right.  It's a combo of FG, water and hopping.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 10:39:44 am »
Well I guess I will just have to hope it turns out crisp. It is an ale so it won't have that same lager feel.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 10:43:38 am »
Well I guess I will just have to hope it turns out crisp. It is an ale so it won't have that same lager feel.

FWIW I make a good cream ale with 1056 that is pretty crisp and lager-y. I mash it @ 5.25 pH and it finishes @ 1.009.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 11:33:29 am »

FWIW I make a good cream ale with 1056 that is pretty crisp and lager-y. I mash it @ 5.25 pH and it finishes @ 1.009.

Yeah hoping to get below 1.010 with K97. I think that the lower and longer mash with the addition a bit of agave at the end of the boil will help. Session went well. Appears that I hit my estimates dead on. Cooling now.