Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pitch today or tomorrow: What would you do?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Jack13

• 1st Kit
Pitch today or tomorrow: What would you do?
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:55:34 pm »
About to start a brew day.  Should be about 7 hours total.

I just pitched San Fran Lager yeast (white labs) into my starter.  The yeast turned out to be a little old (is now at 60% viability, as per Mr. Malty).

The specifics are below but my question is whether it's best to pitch after I'm done brewing (in about 7 hours), or let the wort sit overnight (giving the starter more time) and pitch tomorrow...or do something else?

Thoughts? 

details:
5 Gallon batch
1.050 target OG
aerate with aquarium pump
could run to LHBS during brew (but he doesn't have San Fran Lager yeast)

I'm probably neglecting some relevant info, but can't think of anything else right now to mention.  But I'll be checking this during the brew...

Thanks!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pitch today or tomorrow: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 01:04:13 pm »
Given the OG, I'd say today is fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jack13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 01:58:07 pm »
thanks...I should also mention to all that I don't have a stir plate for the starter.  But I'll be swirling it as much as possible.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 02:14:57 pm »
How big a starter did you make?  If it is around 1 L or so, I would wait until the starter has reached high krausen (you will know this when you give your starter a good swirl and lots of foam rises up) and pitch at that point. It will probably be tonight after you are done brewing. Just keep an eye on it.

Offline Jack13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 04:16:05 pm »
I had about 150g of DME, so did a 1.5L starter.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 06:11:03 pm »
i'd pitch tonight once its at high krausen
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 10:06:01 am »
thanks...I should also mention to all that I don't have a stir plate for the starter.  But I'll be swirling it as much as possible.

I have a stir plate, but I've stopped using it.  I found that it was unnecessary and more trouble than it was worth.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 11:22:38 am »
A stir plate is not necessary for making a healthy starter.  A decent amount of dissolved O2 at inoculaton or shortly there after followed by pitching the starter at high krausen will ensure that the culture makes quick work of owning the wort.

Offline Jack13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 05:37:46 am »

I pitched it that night--not sure if it was high krausen, but it was definitely at the point where just a little swirl caused lots of foam to quickly form...more importantly it was at the point where I went to bed.  :)

Fermentation has been about what I usually see.  Maybe a little slower than usual, but it's a lager yeast and I've got the fermenter sitting in cold water with a towel around it, so that makes sense.  It's at about 61F (doing a California Common, so lager yeast at ale-ish temperature).

Offline Jer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 01:19:41 pm »
Tell me if I'm wrong, but if you've chilled your wort to the right temp (similar to what you grew the starter up at) are you not pitching your yeasties in to the ultimate starter if you do it right away???