Author Topic: Roggenbier  (Read 1135 times)

Offline JJeffers09

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1121
    • View Profile
Roggenbier
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:35:07 PM »
I'm thinking simple
3:2:1
Pils:wheat:rye
Saaz60
Hallertau hersbrucker10
Hefeweizen iv
70f
Yellow Balanced

Thoughts? Is 16% rye enough?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline beersk

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 3484
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »
It certainly sounds good. Can you bump the rye up to 20% and still have a good run off?
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline JJeffers09

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1121
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 08:08:34 PM »
I can drop wheat/rye to 30/20% and 50% pils.  I did not know how heavy handed to go with rye never used it b4

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline JJeffers09

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1121
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 08:32:49 PM »
Color wise I am thinking chocolate rye.  am I nuts? 10%
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline goschman

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 3446
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »
I am not the style police by any means but isn't a roggenbier normally at least 50% rye? I think what you have will definitely be tasty though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:48:07 PM by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: Haze for Daze IPA, G Pils, Maibock, Kolsch       

Fermenting: Summer Ale
Up Next: Euro Pale, IPA

Offline brewinhard

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 3225
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:15:01 PM »
With that strain, you may want to consider dropping the ferment temps a bit lower (at least for the first few days) to around 64F to get a better balance of clove/banana. Pitching even lower (around 62F) will even make the balance better.

Offline beersk

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 3484
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 12:11:45 AM »
I am not the style police by any means but isn't a roggenbier normally at least 50% rye? I think what you have will definitely be tasty though.
Yes, but this would be close enough...

You could keep the rye at 20% and add 10% chocolate rye, but depending on how dark you want it, this may make it too dark. I'd keep it in the 7-10SRM range.
Assuming you have a good filter system, rye can be a b**** sometimes. Having said that, you want to crush it as fine as you can.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:13:55 AM by beersk »
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline JJeffers09

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1121
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 12:21:40 PM »
So http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Roggenbier.html I should have started looking around, before posting.  It says 1/2 barley and equal parts wheat and rye.  The Color it shows there and on my style spreadsheet is the 15-20ish.  So to me color is about like a Dunkelweizen?  I think that it would be good at the 10-15 range with a little more hops in the aroma.  Obviously my rough draft was off.  Really unsure,  I have not had a fresh roggenbier.  The "American" versions I have had are super banana esters and I think Bavarian wheat yeast, if I remember.  But Goose Rasselbock, Iron Hill Roggenbier, both were heavy handed banana and more like 6%+ That is why I figured holding it at 70F and getting the prominent banana esters.  I would prefer 351/3638 or 3068 for this, but I have 380 in a start now from my last batch of an Imp. Dunkelweizen.

Rough drafting still...
50% pils
20.5% Rye
20.5% Wheat
5% Midnight Wheat
4% Flaked rye
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 06:20:12 PM by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Scot (one T)

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 78
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
My Roggenbier is typically 70% rye.   Use rice hulls in the mash and you won't have any sparging issues. 
Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
St Paul Homebrewers Club
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge

Offline JJeffers09

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1121
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 05:34:35 PM »
have you tried a 70% Rye beer?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

RPIScotty

  • Guest
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 05:57:55 PM »
have you tried a 70% Rye beer?

I would think so. He said he makes it so I'd hope he at least tries it.

Offline JJeffers09

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1121
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 06:07:17 PM »
ha, ya I skipped right over the "MY" in that response...  typically 70%, it just seems high.  Is the remaining 30% just base?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

RPIScotty

  • Guest
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 06:20:05 PM »
ha, ya I skipped right over the "MY" in that response...  typically 70%, it just seems high.  Is the remaining 30% just base?

I've never brewed it but the guidelines say anywhere between 50-65% Rye with Pale or Munich making up the remainder.

Remember also that it's a historical style so percentages of Rye > than modern style guidelines may have been used because that's what was available.

Offline Scot (one T)

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 78
    • View Profile
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »
have you tried a 70% Rye beer?


Yes I tried it.  Did very well in competitions.   My rye stout has just under 25% rye malt.   
Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
St Paul Homebrewers Club
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge

Offline majorvices

  • Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 9636
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
Re: Roggenbier
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 01:25:26 PM »
You can certainly taste rye at 20% but I use at least 50% rye in mine. I recently brewed a 100% rye saison (rye malt and about 10% crystal rye, all Thomas Fawcett) and used a bunch of rice hulls and had no problems lautering. I am  going to do a Roggenbier when I get back from Vaca next week and will use at least 60% rye.