Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much lactic acid is a problem?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
How much lactic acid is a problem?
« on: May 31, 2016, 02:39:36 pm »
     I know it has been discussed, but just looking for more thoughts. I am planning on a 10 gallon batch of Saison that will be split into 2 fermenters that will secondary on either blackberries or lemon balm. Following a recipe I have used before from @AmandaK: 90% pilsner and 10% Munich II. Getting down to pH of 5.22 requires 6mL of 88% lactic, putting the finished beer at roughly 204ppm lactate in the finished product(per Bru'NWater estimates.)   Kai states generally being confident that under 400ppm  should have no taste effect on the product/consumer. Does this sound like a good place to be? From past attempts, I know I added 3.8mL to a 5.5g batch last year, but in the end that batch caught something wild from my raspberries so I am not certain how much the lactic affected the batch. My other batches of saison I did not take good enough notes(no record of how much lactic I used.) Any thoughts on this plan?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: How much lactic acid is a problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 02:55:59 pm »
I use about 5 ml of lactic acid in a 5 gal batch without hesitation in pale styles.  I haven't had reason to use more than that.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:28:42 pm »
Thanks, good to know. That's definitely more than I have used for anything besides saison. I'm more comfortable now
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 08:19:01 am »
It will be fine. If anything the saison will have a slight tartness to it, even if you can barely pick it up.

Keep in mind, the blackberries will add some acidity as well.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:21:32 am »
That was my thinking as well. Planning on 7.5# of them in one half and I don't know how much fresh picked lemon balm in the other. In the past, this has been bittered to 45 IBUs with Willamette and Nelson, just wondering if I should lower that at all with the secondary elements as well?
Frank L.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 08:26:01 am »
6ml in a 10 gal batch is fine. Even if it was a light lager, only a super taster might detect it... maybe

Offline 69franx

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 08:28:11 am »
Thanks Jim, that's where I will be going then. And I am certainly no super taster by the way, so no issues there even if they were there to be found
Frank L.