Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Non-Vinyl Draught Tubing  (Read 1348 times)

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Non-Vinyl Draught Tubing
« on: June 07, 2016, 10:01:57 am »
When I was replacing my draught tubing, I considered options other than standard vinyl tubing.  One obstacle I encountered was that I had difficulty in finding resistance values for other tubing (silicone or "silverized").

I eventually went with vinyl, but I was wondering if anyone else has had that difficulty?
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Non-Vinyl Draught Tubing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 10:33:30 am »
I went with this: https://www.morebeer.com/products/ultra-barrier-silver-antimicrobial-pvc-free-beer-tubing-316-id-foot.html?site_id=5

Near the bottom of the page it says that 3/16" line provides 2.2 lbs. of restriction per foot.  I assume that is just a generalization and not specific to any one type of 3/16" ID tubing though.

10 ft. of line seems to work well for me, and I usually keep my regulator at 16 psi.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:35:58 am »
I went with this: https://www.morebeer.com/products/ultra-barrier-silver-antimicrobial-pvc-free-beer-tubing-316-id-foot.html?site_id=5

Near the bottom of the page it says that 3/16" line provides 2.2 lbs. of restriction per foot.  I assume that is just a generalization and not specific to any one type of 3/16" ID tubing though.

10 ft. of line seems to work well for me, and I usually keep my regulator at 16 psi.

Out of curiosity, did you have any of the excessive foaming on the first few pours?  I love mine but was thrown by that, until I read online that it's fairly common with that tubing. All of a sudden it poured fine and is great now.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:20:02 pm »
Out of curiosity, did you have any of the excessive foaming on the first few pours?

I didn't experience the excessive foaming, but I appreciated the warning.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC