Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Speidel/Oat Malt Mild/Low Oxygen  (Read 4888 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: New Speidel/Oat Malt Mild/Low Oxygen
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 08:48:43 am »
How did your BM work out?

I seriously miscalculated the amount of water that can be used to mash with the short (10L) malt pipe. I thought I could do an 18L no-sparge, but that was way too much. I had to remove 4L of water and sparge with it afterwards.

You can enter a recipe on a screen, but I got bored after about 3 seconds, so gave up and did everything manually.

The valve is positioned very high. You have to tilt  the BM to collect 4 liters wort, which I don't really want to do. I guess I will have to order this gizmo: http://www.bacbrewing.com/epages/990497525.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/990497525/Products/BB.BM20.002

Other than that (and the yeast, obviously) everything went very well. The pump pushes the wort over the edge of the malt pipe, but I see no splashing, so I assume that O2 uptake is not that high...
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 09:08:04 am »

I seriously miscalculated the amount of water that can be used to mash with the short (10L) malt pipe. I thought I could do an 18L no-sparge, but that was way too much. I had to remove 4L of water and sparge with it afterwards.

You can enter a recipe on a screen, but I got bored after about 3 seconds, so gave up and did everything manually.

The valve is positioned very high. You have to tilt  the BM to collect 4 liters wort, which I don't really want to do. I guess I will have to order this gizmo: http://www.bacbrewing.com/epages/990497525.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/990497525/Products/BB.BM20.002

Other than that (and the yeast, obviously) everything went very well. The pump pushes the wort over the edge of the malt pipe, but I see no splashing, so I assume that O2 uptake is not that high...
I brew 3 gal batches in my 20l BM. I ended up modifying the malt pipe by drilling a bunch of 1/2" holes around it about 3" down. Works great for LODO no sparge small batches. A block of wood under the rear leg gets most of the wort out towards the end of racking for me.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 10:33:48 am »
Not the slightest sign of activity this morning, so will dump the batch tonight.

I would give it another day before you dump it.  I bet it starts up.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 11:31:46 am »
Not the slightest sign of activity this morning, so will dump the batch tonight.

I would give it another day before you dump it.  I bet it starts up.

Most definitely. 

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 12:38:37 pm »
Something is starting to move in there, but who knows what it is, in Memorial Day's name :( ahhh, the social pressure...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Frank P.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 12:45:01 pm »
Something is starting to move in there, but who knows what it is, in Memorial Day's name :( ahhh, the social pressure...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ha!  I bet its taking off right about now.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 11:22:03 am »
Gravity is down to 1.009 without there having been any visible kraeusen. Is that worrisome?
Frank P.

RPIScotty

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 11:31:41 am »
Gravity is down to 1.009 without there having been any visible kraeusen. Is that worrisome?

Maybe you missed it?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 11:34:52 am »

Not if the beer tastes and smells good. Some strains produce more krausen and ferment faster than others.
Jon H.

narvin

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 11:41:31 am »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 12:09:38 pm »

Maybe you missed it?

Yes, dearly :(

There should be signs of it against the wall of the keg, no?
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 12:12:03 pm »

Not if the beer tastes and smells good. Some strains produce more krausen and ferment faster than others.

It's Thames Valley. I perceive a quite strong sulfury smell. Is that typical for this yeast?
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 12:14:17 pm »

:o  :-X

It's the yeast that is causing problems, has nothing to do with the BM.
The BM itself is awesome. Temperature control and stability is fantastic, compared with using a pot and a sleeping bag to insulate
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 12:20:40 pm »

It's Thames Valley. I perceive a quite strong sulfury smell. Is that typical for this yeast?

Not typical IME, but I wouldn't worry too much. Sulfur dissipates with time, and you can help out the process by venting the keg periodically (assuming you keg this).
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 12:32:10 pm »

Not typical IME, but I wouldn't worry too much. Sulfur dissipates with time, and you can help out the process by venting the keg periodically (assuming you keg this).

First you tell me that I shouldn't worry if the smell is good. Now you tell me that I shouldn't worry about the sulfur smell. When exactly should I start worrying? :'(
Frank P.