Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sealing ball lock keg with pin lock fitting  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Sealing ball lock keg with pin lock fitting
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:17:57 pm »
I brewed a beer for my buddy who is going to give me a ball lock keg to fill. I have a pin lock system and am wondering if I can at least seal/purge the keg after it is filled by pushing it on in bursts. This way I can store it decently before he gets the keg.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:38:15 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: Sealing ball lock keg with pin lock fitting
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:37:49 pm »
Do your pin lock disconnects have barbs or MFL connections? Could you borrow a gas disconnect from him and switch out? Even if it's barbs, it will only cost you ~2" of gas line to cut off and switch out a couple of times.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 03:43:28 pm »
Warning, I've never tried on a ball lock keg...

On the pin lock disconnect, just above the free-spinning collar (the collar has the grooves for the pins) there is a snap-ring in a groove that keeps the collar from sliding up.  Using something, get the snap-ring out of the groove so the collar can slide up.  You should then be able to slide the disconnect on and off the ball lock post and seal/purge the keg. I use the method for pushing gas through the liquid line of my kegs sometimes.  But, like I said, I've never tried on a ball lock keg but the post diameter should be the same and a pin lock disconnect should be more shallow than a ball lock disconnect which will enable it to engage the poppets.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:55:54 pm »
Just checked a ball lock disconnect diameter and pin lock disconnect diameter.

Ball lock is 16.5mm
Pin lock is 16.75mm

So, a pin lock disconnect will definitely fit on a ball lock post and being more shallow will allow it to engage the poppet.  The question will be about the o-ring sealing well enough - that I don't know.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 03:56:35 pm »
Do your pin lock disconnects have barbs or MFL connections? Could you borrow a gas disconnect from him and switch out? Even if it's barbs, it will only cost you ~2" of gas line to cut off and switch out a couple of times.

They are not barbs. I will see if he has an extra ball lock disconnect that I can swap out temporarily.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 03:57:26 pm »
Just checked a ball lock disconnect diameter and pin lock disconnect diameter.

Ball lock is 16.5mm
Pin lock is 16.75mm

So, a pin lock disconnect will definitely fit on a ball lock post and being more shallow will allow it to engage the poppet.  The question will be about the o-ring sealing well enough - that I don't know.

Thanks. I will give it a shot and try to remember to update afterward which will be more than a week after I dry hop.