Author Topic: Confessions of NE IPA brewers  (Read 4504 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions of NE IPA brewers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »
That is definitely some modified IPA. 'Green apple puree' and 'post fermentation fruit' explains the term 'juicy' a little better. I guess I'm not smart enough to understand specifically what wheat flour haze does to improve a beer. If I ever find one fresh I'll probably try it, to satisfy my curiosity.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:21:36 PM »
Thanks for posting
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg: Märzen
In Bottles:  
In the works:

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 06:25:32 PM »
I dunno, my IPA's are plenty hazy just from dry hops. My "NE IPA" that I brewed recently was just my usual IPA using 10% flaked oats and 10% torrified wheat. It came out opaque without any flour, pectin, fruit puree, etc.

It sounds like some breweries are going through awfully extreme measures for this...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 06:45:16 PM »
Maybe the "grittiness" that Denny has commented on is coming from apple puree. I could definitely see that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 07:18:52 PM »
That is definitely some modified IPA. 'Green apple puree' and 'post fermentation fruit' explains the term 'juicy' a little better. I guess I'm not smart enough to understand specifically what wheat flour haze does to improve a beer. If I ever find one fresh I'll probably try it, to satisfy my curiosity.

If you guessed "nothing", then you're smart enough.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 07:19:26 PM »
Maybe the "grittiness" that Denny has commented on is coming from apple puree. I could definitely see that.

I really don't think so.  It was very likely either yeast or hops.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 07:21:16 PM »
Why flour?  If you're a true farmhouse brewer you'd be using raw (whole grain) wheat berries, spelt, etc. in the mash.  But flour in the kettle?    >:(

Seems like a fad for people who like fads.
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »
Why flour?  If you're a true farmhouse brewer you'd be using raw (whole grain) wheat berries, spelt, etc. in the mash.  But flour in the kettle?    >:(

That's what it is.  Years back, flour in the kettle was advocated as a way to keep witbier cloudy.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 07:28:54 PM »

If you guessed "nothing", then you're smart enough.

Nothing was exactly my guess, Denny.   :)
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 07:33:47 PM »

Oh and you can bet your boots that many of the people in the craft beer world are, in fact, people who like fads. [Patiently waits for sour beers, fruit IPA, and barrel-aged everything to slope off on holiday indefinitely...]. It'll go the way of black IPA soon enough. Although I was sad to see that fad go away, but no bother, I can brew it pretty easily.
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline brewinhard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »

That's what it is.  Years back, flour in the kettle was advocated as a way to keep witbier cloudy.

Yep. Years ago, I tried that once. Once.

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 07:40:43 PM »

Oh and you can bet your boots that many of the people in the craft beer world are, in fact, people who like fads. [Patiently waits for sour beers, fruit IPA, and barrel-aged everything to slope off on holiday indefinitely...]. It'll go the way of black IPA soon enough. Although I was sad to see that fad go away, but no bother, I can brew it pretty easily.

All the original beers were sour.  How is that a fad?   ;)

I agree there are a lot of over the top sours out there, and part of that has to do with barrel aging in new(ish) barrels in the US. Oud Beersel has been using their barrels for 100+ years.  Trust me, there's no wine/tannic/whiskey flavor left in there.  Just some amazing yeast strains that taste better than the toilet water some breweries apparently cultured their bugs from.
Thanks

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 07:41:26 PM »

Yep. Years ago, I tried that once. Once.

I tried it once to hopefully make third runnings into suitable lambic wort.  Instead I made what looked like hush puppies.  I should have made a roux.
Thanks

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »
I don't like the idea of flour in the beer. I have my own take going right now with a half pound each of flaked oats and flaked barley that I put in the mash of a 5 gallon batch. Primary is just about done and I added freshly squeezed cranberries that I put through a macerating juicer, which is essentially cranberry puree. I also did a big whirlpool addition and put 3oz hops in with the cranberry puree in a large tea ball. I will put another teaball of hops in the keg. I didn't know about the fruit puree, that was kind of a hunch.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.