Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Confessions of NE IPA brewers  (Read 11703 times)

Offline breslinp

• Cellarman
Re: Confessions of NE IPA brewers
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2016, 08:01:42 am »
It may have been the bottling. A few weeks at RT versus only carbing for 24 hours in a keg for most.  I brew a similar recipe and it is hazy for the first few weeks, but eventually clears in the keg.  Add in the small fermenter size (i.e. bottle) and it would clear even faster.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. I recently brewed this "New England Pale Ale":

OG: 1.051, FG: 1.009
75% MO
25% Flaked Oats
60 IBUs of Magnum @ 60 min
1 oz each of Centennial, Citra and Simcoe @ 0 min
2 oz each of Centennial, Citra and Simcoe for 20 min whirlpool @ 150F
WY1318 (Boddington's) open fermented @ 68F for 2 weeks.
100ppm each of Ca, SO4 and Cl.

Bottled it, let it carb for a few weeks @ RT, 2 days in the fridge and it pours damn near commercial clear out of the bottle. Nowhere near hazy let alone turbid. Absolutely delicious beer - maybe one of the best APA/AIPAs I've ever made but I'm not getting the look nor the "juicy" mouthfeel everyone talks about with these beers. I'm confused but love the results nonetheless.  :P

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2016, 04:18:00 pm »
The whole flour in the beer thing at Tired Hands was intentional.

Their base pale ale, Hop Hands is fairly haze on account of a ton of oats and lot's of dry hops. On beeradvocate it has a pretty high rating but was trashed by one of the alestrom's. He referred to it as milkshake beer.

After that, Tired Hands went and started the milkshake series where they made their beers intentionally hazy (hence the flour) as possible and added fruit in addition to the massive dry hops.

I think the whole thing was just them doubling down on the haze as an F-You.

narvin

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2016, 07:34:55 pm »
Tired Hands makes some excellent beers of different styles.  They aren't yeasty or gritty. I haven't had the milkshake series but it sounds like it was intentionally... um, experimental.  Probably not my thing but not necessarily representative of what they do.

Also, Admore, PA is maybe 20 miles north of the Mason Dixon line.

Edit: This is probably why the "Bros" trashed it while giving Heady a 96.  Uneducated, sheltered, provincial a-holes (ask me how i really feel...)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:38:37 pm by narvin »