Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Free flat-rate shipping at AHS  (Read 1435 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Free flat-rate shipping at AHS
« on: May 27, 2016, 01:55:44 pm »
I mentioned this in another thread, but Austin Homebrew Supply is offering free flat-rate shipping on orders over $50 this weekend. There are some exclusions (kegs for one thing), but I love these deals for stocking up on base malts in 10-20 pound quantities. Needless to say, I will be stocked up on Red X malt for a while.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Free flat-rate shipping at AHS
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 01:58:26 pm »
Isn't free shipping inherently flat rate?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 02:01:19 pm »
Isn't free shipping inherently flat rate?
Yeah, although in this case they mean that orders that normally qualify got their $7.99 flat rate shipping ship for free instead.  :P
Eric B.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 02:36:13 pm »
I just scored a sack of red x at wholesale. Coming up with that many red beers is tough. I need to start with a smash so I can determine how much I like what it has to bring.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 04:49:15 pm »
I just scored a sack of red x at wholesale. Coming up with that many red beers is tough. I need to start with a smash so I can determine how much I like what it has to bring.

Nice deal. It's pretty malty (and good) to me - I think it's like light Munich with a sprinkle of C60 and C80 mixed in. I've read where other guys said Munich + Vienna. Maybe a light toastiness in there too. In an APA or 'red IPA', higher sulfate and a low mash temp works really well, unless you're looking for a maltier version . Past that, I'd like to try some in Scottish beers, maybe an Irish Red (not my favorite style though). I think in Scottish beers (in a Golden Promise base) it would really shine.  Personally, of American styles,  I think it's best suited to American Amber or maybe Cal Common, but the adjustments can be made for hoppier beers.

Edit -  Obviously wouldn't want to use it 100% in an IPA or other strong beer as it's 'red' at 100% RedX @ 1.050.  I used 75% in a 1.065ish red IPA and it had a nice amber/reddish color.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:02:12 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 05:02:10 pm »
Cool. First on the plate is a simple smash with maybe 20ibu at 60. Beyond that I'm leaning IPA, red ale, and red lager. Not sure about anything much over 7-8% with it as the sole base malt.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 05:03:32 pm »
See my edit - you're right on the 100% thing. A hoppy red lager (IPL?) sounds good to me too.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 07:33:20 pm »
I've done a hoppy red lager with Red X before and it was pretty nice. I'll probably go that route again. A non-hoppy red lager (a red Maerzen is probably what it would be closest to) is probably also on the docket as well. I think first up will be a red saison for the summer, maybe with some fruit.

Another thought I had would be a red NE IPA. I wonder how the Red X would show up with some haze.
Eric B.