Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NE IPA reviews  (Read 6095 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: NE IPA reviews
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 02:05:05 am »
I knew it would be unlikely that the winner would go unassisted.
Is your NE IPA ready yet?
Sort of. I used a massive dry hop with pellets only and there's still a raw hop flavor and bitterness that hasn't finished dropping out yet. I don't really get any of the grittiness that Denny picked up on. Since I bittered it like a normal IPA rather than a light APA and used my normal sulfate adjustment, I think it holds up to the extra body just fine. It's really more of an IPA with flaked grain than a full-on NE IPA. I'm hoping I can give a more thorough evaluation soon as the raw hop character falls out.
Did you put the flaked grain in the boil or the mash?
Mash. Protein haze is OK, starch haze not so much, AFAIC.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 05:53:28 am »
Sort of. I used a massive dry hop with pellets only and there's still a raw hop flavor and bitterness that hasn't finished dropping out yet. I don't really get any of the grittiness that Denny picked up on. Since I bittered it like a normal IPA rather than a light APA and used my normal sulfate adjustment, I think it holds up to the extra body just fine. It's really more of an IPA with flaked grain than a full-on NE IPA. I'm hoping I can give a more thorough evaluation soon as the raw hop character falls out.
I have an IPA in the fermenter right now with a half pound each of flaked oats and flaked rye.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 06:41:31 am »
I have an IPA in the fermenter right now with a half pound each of flaked oats and flaked rye.

You better get yourself a spoon for that one.  ;)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 09:11:49 am »

You better get yourself a spoon for that one.  ;)
I have a history of not going far enough when experimenting and don't have time to do more than a couple iterations of something so I went for it on this one. The wort was tasty.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.