Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: North Coast Brother Thelonious  (Read 2389 times)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
North Coast Brother Thelonious
« on: June 07, 2016, 12:17:55 pm »
Popped the cork on a bottle of this over the weekend and quite enjoyed it.  Fairly fresh, March 2016 bottle date.

Poured it straight from the fridge which I realized was way too cold.  Had a sharp almost metallic aroma when it was that cold.  Let it sit in the glass to warm and that went away.  Strong fruity/bubblegum esters that I love in a Belgian.  A little sweet, lots of malt.  Really good example of a Belgian Dark Strong.  Really nice.

A little spendy at 8$ for a .5L bottle, but cork finished, bottle conditioned Belgian not bad. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: North Coast Brother Thelonious
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 06:11:31 pm »
Popped the cork on a bottle of this over the weekend and quite enjoyed it.  Fairly fresh, March 2016 bottle date.

Poured it straight from the fridge which I realized was way too cold.  Had a sharp almost metallic aroma when it was that cold.  Let it sit in the glass to warm and that went away.  Strong fruity/bubblegum esters that I love in a Belgian.  A little sweet, lots of malt.  Really good example of a Belgian Dark Strong.  Really nice.

A little spendy at 8$ for a .5L bottle, but cork finished, bottle conditioned Belgian not bad.
This was one of the first Belgians I fell in love with. There was another one, but I can't remember her name ;)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 06:14:18 pm »
Price is typical for what I pay around here. Commercial beer is too expensive. I'm happy I can make my own.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 06:20:43 pm »
Price is typical for what I pay around here. Commercial beer is too expensive. I'm happy I can make my own.

I pay around that here. I agree - most commercial beers are so pricey, I don't buy unless I've had it before or a trusted friend recommends it. There's a s#!t ton of mediocre beer out there. Mine is better than mediocre.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 06:20:57 pm »
Brother Thelonious is spotty quality wise for me. That's not a dig against North Coast but more of a logistics thing. We don't get a ton of it in the northeast and its either really fresh or a bit old.

I personally like BT when it's old. When it's green I am not a big fan.

It's typically 10.99 a 4 pack in CNY.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 09:08:40 pm »

With prices out here, I consider $8 a bottle to be a pretty good value.

I also think it's a great beer - one of the few commercial brews I purchase.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 12:27:48 pm »
Yeah, now that I think about it the price is really not that bad.  Even with 1,000,000,000,000,000 choices here in Oregon a good number of 22s run in the 6.99-7.99 range. Stuff like Firestone Walker and Arrogant Bastard run in the 12-30$ range, which I know is good stuff but that starts to get a little hard to pay. Ballast Point is like 17$ for a sixer of 12s which really boggles my mind when good local stuff like Deschutes and Hop Valley is like 7$ a sixer.  Oh well.. to each their own.  I have a few things I'm willing to pay for.  The 20$ bomber of Ninkasi Ground Control made with yeast from space was worth every penny (it was also a phenomenal beer).
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 08:17:24 am »
Brother Thelonious is spotty quality wise for me. That's not a dig against North Coast but more of a logistics thing. We don't get a ton of it in the northeast and its either really fresh or a bit old.

I personally like BT when it's old. When it's green I am not a big fan...

I agree.
in many cases, "freshness" is very over-rated ...and not necessarily always a good thing.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971