Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation twice?  (Read 2108 times)

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
Fermentation twice?
« on: May 29, 2016, 09:17:40 am »
I have a nut brown ale which I started last week Saturday to be exact.  the MG was 1.056, I had brewed an earlier batch which I harvested the yeast from and used for this batch.  I created a starter which was VERY active.  After brewing this new batch which as I mentioned started at 1.056 into the fermentation vessel, I pitched a 1250 ml of starter plus another vile of my harvested product.

The fermentation started almost within 2 hours at 67 deg. F. and visibly lasted almost 4 days until it subsided, I left it in for another three days, and as of today, the measured gravity is 1.028 which puts me at just about a 3.9 ABV.

This is not what I was going for on this beer obviously, so my question to the experts out there is, could I pitch another vile of my yeast into the chamber to further lower my gravity safely, or do I suck it up and call it a session nut brown ale?
Brewing is all I ever think about!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Fermentation twice?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 09:30:08 am »
You should post your recipe so we can help. Did you use extract? How much yeast and what strain? In the meantime you should move the fermenter to the warmest room in the house and give it a week or so, to encourage the yeast to eat some more sugar.
Jon H.

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 09:33:38 am »
You should post your recipe so we can help. Did you use extract? How much yeast and what strain? In the meantime you should move the fermenter to the warmest room in the house and give it a week or so, to encourage the yeast to eat some more sugar.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: SH Nut Brown Ale_ver1.2
Brewer: John Merlino
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 13.35 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 26.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
14.50 gal             Los Angeles, CA (West)                   Water         1        -             
2.00 tsp              Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   2        -             
6 lbs                 Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)         Grain         3        28.6 %       
5 lbs                 Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)           Grain         4        23.8 %       
5 lbs                 Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         5        23.8 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz          Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)   Grain         6        7.1 %         
1 lbs                 Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)               Grain         7        4.8 %         
1 lbs                 RedX (BestMälz)  (15.2 SRM)              Grain         8        4.8 %         
1 lbs                 Special Roast (Briess) (50.0 SRM)        Grain         9        4.8 %         
8.0 oz                Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM)        Grain         10       2.4 %         
2.00 oz               Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           11       16.3 IBUs     
1.00 tsp              Ascorbic Acid (Boil 60.0 mins)           Other         12       -             
0.50 oz               Tettnang [4.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  0.0 Hop           13       0.0 IBUs     
3.0 pkg               British Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1098) [1 Yeast         14       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 21 lbs
----------------------------
Name                        Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In                     Add 27.61 qt of water at 163.1 F        152.0 F       60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (2.99gal, 7.38gal) of 170.0 F water
Notes:
------
Toast the Flaked Barley for 10 inutes at 300 deg. F in oven.

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 154° - 156° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 30 minutes
BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
2 oz. US Fuggle (60 min)
.25 oz. Teenenger (wirlpool)

M.G 1.056
EST F.G: 1.004

Suggested fermentation schedule:
1 week primary; 1 week secondary; 2 weeks bottle conditionin

YEAST
British Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1098) [124.21 ml] 64-70 F.

LIQUID YEAST OPTION: Wyeast 1945 NB NeoBritannia.Flocculation: Medium-high. Attenuation: 72–77%.Temperature Range: 66–74 F.

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 09:38:54 am »
I already emptied the yeast form the fermenter, I have it in a sanitized vessel so I could technically add it back but that scares me.  I have a refrigerator I use to put my fermenter in and it is controlled with the STS 1000 dig. controller so I can keep the fermentation at a steady 19.7 deg. C. which I did.  I am at a loss as to why I did not achieve a lower gravity.  The beer i tasted form the reading I took was good, flavor was on, no signs of infection or butter.   Do you think just leaving the beer sit another week in the secondary could potentially help?  I just don't see it dropping to the suggested FG of 1.04 so hence the question a second fermentation. 

PS I nailed the measured or est. gravity of 1.056
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:42:46 am by PAYCHECK »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 10:03:27 am »
Looks like a pretty small starter if I'm reading right. Also looks like you racked to secondary after a week, which can sometimes stall a fermentation. 1098 is pretty attenuative so it normally wouldn't do that. But the advice to brewers to rack to secondary still persists today - except there is nothing gained by doing it and it potentially can stall the beer by removing the beer from a lot of active yeast. I would try to pitch some more active yeast (even some 1056). I see no reason in the grist that the beer would finish @ 1.028. IMO it's not pitching enough yeast and racking to secondary after a week that caused the high FG. Good luck.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:03:57 am »
Hydrometer or refractometer?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 11:47:53 am »
I was also going to ask if the reading was from a refractometer.  If so, you need a calculator to adjust the gravity after fermentation.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 11:51:02 am »
I was also going to ask if the reading was from a refractometer.  If so, you need a calculator to adjust the gravity after fermentation.
Using a Hydrometer, no refract in house, saving for a really good one though

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 12:01:18 pm »
Did it taste sweet? You said it tasted good. Maybe it is done. 4 days of active fermentation at 67F should drop SG more than 28 points. 

Could it be a bad hydrometer or you read it wrong?

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 12:12:11 pm »
Did it taste sweet? You said it tasted good. Maybe it is done. 4 days of active fermentation at 67F should drop SG more than 28 points. 

Could it be a bad hydrometer or you read it wrong?
I guess there is always a possibility of one of those things happening but I really doubt the hydrometer is wrong and or I misread it, I like you have been doing this for many years and it just seemed strange to me.  this is the first time however I have harvested yeast, never had to, always had enough money to brew with fresh, but I am trying to save now and be more money minded ya know, as well as learn more about yeasts?

Yeah the sample I tried was not sweet, you may be right, it may just flat out be done.  I am going to let it go another week at 20 deg. C. and see if anything happens, if not bottle it up and learn a lesson.