Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sightseeing at the Conference  (Read 2034 times)

Offline guido

• Brewer
Sightseeing at the Conference
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:55:47 am »
I'm trying to strike a balance between conference events and some touristy stuff in Baltimore. These are the places I want to visit:

Aquarium
Fort McHenry
Edgar Alan Poe grave/museum
Babe Ruth Museum

I've been to Camden Yards before and a ball game won't fit into our schedule. Am I missing any other places of interest?
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Sightseeing at the Conference
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 06:18:03 am »
There are several museum ships in the area, some are better than others. The USS Torsk and the Lightship Chesapeake stick out in my memory as being better, though I can't remember trying the USCGC Taney.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 08:30:54 am »
The places they filmed The Wire look nice...
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

narvin

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 08:44:36 am »
Definitely head over to Fell's Point, both for the historic aspects and Max's Taphouse.  You can take the water taxi to Fell's and Fort McHenry.  You get an all day pass, and it's a very scenic ride.  Depending on when you get in, some tall ships might still be around early in the week in the Inner Harbor.

Mt. Vernon has a lot of nice restaurants (and the first major monument to George Washington), as well as the Brewer's Art brewpub.  I'd skip the Poe house unless you have lots of free time on your hands... his grave is closer to downtown.  The American Visionary Art Museum is also a cool place.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:50:25 am by narvin »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:26:07 am »
If you have the time, Gettysburg PA is a bit over an hour away.  It is worth the trip if you like history.  Everybody has heard of Gettysburg but going and seeing it in person brings a huge new perspective on what happened there.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 10:27:52 am »
We spent a weekend there a year or so ago without a car.  We took the light rail from the airport and stayed in the Inner Harbor area.  The water taxi to Fells Point is cool, but it is also close enough to walk to and fro by way of the Italian district. 
The Poe cemetery is also a good choice.  It is close by Lexington Market, also worth a visit, although it is not in the best of neighborhoods.  It is the oldest operating market in the US I think.  There is a really cool public library near there if you like architecture.
We visited Baltimore Museum of Art also.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bosoxbrent

• 1st Kit
    • MacAloney.net
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 09:17:06 am »
Besides what you have, here are a few things that I'd recommend. 

Bromo Seltzer Tower - If you got time on Saturday, I'd head over to the Bromo Seltzer Tower.  It's like a 5 minute walk from the convention center.  There are a bunch of art studios in the building and you can get a tour of the clock room at various times during the day.  http://www.bromoseltzertower.com/open-studio-days.cfm

B&O Railroad Museum - I have a membership and love going here with the kids.  There is an amazingly beautiful roundhouse here as well as a bunch of old locomotives.  I'm not that big of a train guy, but I really enjoy going here.  It is walkable to get here ~20 minutes.  http://www.borail.org/

Maryland Zoo - It's a nice, very walkable zoo.  It's nothing as huge as the National Zoo in DC, but they have some cool animals here and it's a great place.  You could take the light rail there, but it's a bit of a walk from the closest station.  I'd say taxi or Uber if you want to go here.  http://www.marylandzoo.org/

American Visionary Art Museum - I've only been here once.  It has quite the eclectic collection of art.  Outside the building is cool to walk around too.  It's within walking distance of the Inner Harbor.  http://www.avam.org/

Walters Art Museum - I'm ashamed to admit, I've lived here for 17 years and haven't ever been, but I hear it is fantastic.  Best part is that it is free to get into.  So that might be fun. http://thewalters.org/

If you have a car and want to get out of the area, I totally agree with the recommendation to drive to Gettysburg, even think about stopping at Frederick, MD along the way.  Annapolis is beautiful this time of year as well. 

Please feel free to shoot me an email if you have any specific questions:  bosoxbrent@gmail.com

Glad to have you coming out to our city and hope you enjoy yourself. 

Cheers!
-Brent

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 09:48:48 am »
I'd skip the Poe house unless you have lots of free time on your hands... his grave is closer to downtown.

The Poe House doesn't seem that big. Does it take a long time to tour? I think it's only open on the weekends.

narvin

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 09:50:18 am »
I'd skip the Poe house unless you have lots of free time on your hands... his grave is closer to downtown.

The Poe House doesn't seem that big. Does it take a long time to tour? I think it's only open on the weekends.

It's just not very conveniently located.  I wouldn't walk there, personally.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 09:51:28 am »
It is close by Lexington Market, also worth a visit, although it is not in the best of neighborhoods.  It is the oldest operating market in the US I think.

Is the Lexington Market like the Reading Terminal Market in Philly? My wife and I loved that place.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 09:54:31 am »

It's just not very conveniently located.  I wouldn't walk there, personally.

I'll be taking advantage of Uber that week. It worked great for me in San Diego.

narvin

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 09:59:17 am »
It is close by Lexington Market, also worth a visit, although it is not in the best of neighborhoods.  It is the oldest operating market in the US I think.

Is the Lexington Market like the Reading Terminal Market in Philly? My wife and I loved that place.

it's much less touristy than Reading Terminal, which is good and bad.  If you head up that way I'd suggest you check out Faidley's crab cakes.

http://www.faidleyscrabcakes.com/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:04:12 am by narvin »

Offline uberbitter

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 12:43:08 pm »
I second the B&O Museum. Very worthwhile.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 02:24:21 pm »

it's much less touristy than Reading Terminal, which is good and bad.  If you head up that way I'd suggest you check out Faidley's crab cakes.

http://www.faidleyscrabcakes.com/
What I think is cool about this old market is most of it is inside, but it is sloped, like you walk downhill on an old tile floor from one side to the other.  It's a great place for different lunches, but not as "safe" as Readinf Terminal Market in Philly.  I had a soft shelled crab sandwich at Faidleys last time.  And a beer.  They have beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995